Judy Reyes

by ethnic on July 6, 2009

Place of Birth: The Bronx, New York City, New York, U.S.

Date of Birth: November 19, 1967

Ethnicity: Dominican Republic (African, other)

Judy Reyes is an American actress. She is known for playing Carla Espinosa on the series Scrubs. Judy stated in an interview that her father moved to the U.S. from the Dominican Republic in 1961.

Judy has a daughter with her partner, George Valencia.

image via Joe Seer / Shutterstock.com

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

andrew October 10, 2017 at 2:49 pm

that “possibly other” is ridiculous enough to be removed or changed into a “likely other” or something.

madman October 10, 2017 at 2:59 pm

fuzzybear is not going to be happy you said that…

andrew October 10, 2017 at 3:09 pm

no, he has said “I personally am more than happy to call her a latina”

madman October 10, 2017 at 3:38 pm

He will say that there are light skinned black people too.

fuzzybear44 October 10, 2017 at 4:03 pm

I don’t call anybody anything they don’t call themselves. I put a video on here a while back, where Judy and other latin celebs were talking about being Afro-latino .Alot of them actually Identity as being black. My sister-in law is Afro-cuban/salvadoran, and she is far lighter than Judy is , yet she calls herself black.Light skin black, dark skin black I look at as the same. If the person happens to be Latino, then that’s what they are, and I will call them that. However call them what you want

fuzzybear44 October 10, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Correct

fuzzybear44 October 10, 2017 at 3:47 pm

@madman

Why would I be upset about that?

madman October 11, 2017 at 1:13 am

Did I say you would be upset?

You often say “black people come in all shades” or something similar whenever someone says a celebrity doesn’t look black.

fuzzybear44 October 11, 2017 at 1:23 pm

That’s because it’s true. I can go to a family reunion on either side of my families, and have a range from white to black in color, and all will say that they are black. That’s how it is for ever African American family I’ve ever been around. I’ve never seen a family reunion where everyone looked alike(except on t.v.). So when you guys say a celebrity doesn’t look black, that’s strange to me, because black here in the U.S. is more of an (umbrella) term.

Now for the record, I’ve never denied anyone having other bloodlines besides African, European bloodline are pretty much a given over here in black people.My family Dna test shows were Europe. We had everything but, Italy and European Jew, and my maternal aunt and cousin had those

Samiiraa September 29, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Why “Afro” and not simply Dominican ? Which implies African, Spanish and Taino

fuzzybear44 September 30, 2016 at 12:33 am

I do understand what you’re saying, but there are a number of different kind of Dominicans(black ,Asians, white, mixed(all types), and Arab etc ) . Also, I don’t think there are any more Tainos on the Island. I think you mean Puerto Ricans

Samiiraa August 27, 2017 at 8:54 am

Afro doesn’t mean black, not all Africans are West Africans.
Judy Reyes is mixed like most Dominicans. There are siblings that look different. For example, a Dominican can look like Judy and have white looking siblings.
The average Dominican has between 5% and 10% Taino dna.
So again, Afro latino doesn’t mean anything. Michelle Rodriguez has African ancestry and nobody calls her Afro

fuzzybear44 August 28, 2017 at 1:37 am

@Samiiraa

Quote(Afro doesn’t mean black, not all Africans are West Africans.)

Yes I know all Africans are not black, however when the term Afro is used, it’s usually equated with black

Quote(Judy Reyes is mixed like most Dominicans)

I never said Judy was not of mixed ethnicity. Look It’s not my doing, I’m not the one making these people call themselves Afro anything. They go for African American roles, and this is what confuses people. She has stated herself she goes for AA roles and Latina roles. I personally am more than happy to call her a latina

Quote(Afro latino doesn’t mean anything. Michelle Rodriguez has African ancestry and nobody calls her Afro)

The reason why is because Michelle is a light skin Latina. She fits the propaganda or stereotype of what a Latino is supposed to look like, which is what Latin America likes to promote . Here are Judy as well as other Afro Latinos celebs talking about that very subject:

Quote( a Dominican can look like Judy and have white looking siblings.)

trust when I say, That I personally know all about siblings looking different from each other

Morrigan Ni Boii November 17, 2015 at 3:24 am

She is of African and Spanish descent.

Kobe Ashley June 9, 2014 at 8:47 am

Judy Reyes stated in an interview that she is also African-American.

follers June 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm