Jordana Brewster

Brewster in 2011, photo by Helga Esteb / Shutterstock.com

Place of Birth: Panama City, Panama

Date of Birth: April 26, 1980

Ethnicity:
*English, Scottish, Irish (father)
*Brazilian (mother)

Jordana Brewster is an American actress and model. She is known for starring as Mia, the sister of Vin Diesel’s character, in the The Fast and the Furious films.

Jordana was born in Panama City, Panama, grew up in London, England and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil until the age of ten, and then moved to New York City. Her father, Alden Brewster, is American-born, and has English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry. Her mother, Maria João (de Sousa), is Brazilian, and of at least part Portuguese ancestry. Jordana talked about her Brazilian heritage in an interview with Craig Ferguson. Jordana is married to producer Andrew Form, with whom she has two children. Her sister, Isabella, is married to basketball player Baron Davis.

Jordana’s patrilineal line traces to William Brewster (c. 1566-1644), a Mayflower passenger and noted Pilgrim. Among many of William’s other descendants are actors Paget Brewster, Chevy Chase, Taylor Lautner, Seth MacFarlane, and Brandon Routh, actor and model Noah Mills, soccer player Clint Dempsey, Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld, U.S. Vice Presidents Hannibal Hamlin and Nelson Rockefeller, and Governor of Arkansas Winthrop Rockefeller. Branches of Jordana’s family have been in the United States, and, specifically, in New England, since the 1600s.

Jordana’s paternal grandfather was Kingman Brewster, Jr. (the son of Kingman Brewster and Florence Foster Besse). Jordana’s grandfather Kingman was born in Massachusetts, U.S., and served as the 8th Provost of Yale University, from 1960 to 1963, President of Yale University, from 1963 to 1977, the 55th U.S. Ambassador to the U.K., from June 3, 1977 to February 23, 1981, and Master of University College, Oxford, from 1986 to 1988. Jordana’s great-grandfather Kingman was the son of Charles Kingman Brewster and Celina Sophia Baldwin. Florence was the daughter of Lyman Waterman Besse and Henrietta Louisa Segee/Jegee.

Jordana’s paternal grandmother was Mary Louise Phillips (the daughter of Eugene James Phillips and Mary Louise Griffin). Jordana’s grandmother Mary Louise was born in Rhode Island. Eugene was the son of Riley E. Phillips, who was born in Connecticut, and of Frances L., who was Scottish. Jordana’s great-grandmother Mary Louise was the daughter of John H. Griffin, who was of Irish descent, and of Kate.

Jordana’s maternal grandfather was named Fernando de Sousa. de Sousa is a Portuguese surname. Jordana’s mother also has the surname Leal in her family tree, which is often Portuguese. On rarer occasions, it is Spanish.

Sources: Genealogies of Jordana Brewster (focusing on her father’s side) – http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com

Jordana’s paternal grandmother, Mary Louise Phillips, on the 1930 U.S. Census – https://familysearch.org

1. TITI623 says:

She really looks like a typical American white Celtic
    It looks a bit like me, but I’m more different than her
    My surname is also Portuguese, but it is a curious case, because many of the surnames were given as if they were theirs, and have been changed, some of the Africans and Indigenous did not have surnames, or maybe they married Europeans, and I also think that my surname is Portuguese, because half of my family is white, there are some mixed up too, but my great grandmother is very European, her surname looks very Portuguese, but she told me that her family came from Rio Grande Do Sul, a state in Brazil , where there is a large proportion of Europe, of people who are from Europe and came to this state almost all of its population is white, it is very curious, there are some places that really look like Europe, but you find black people there too, My great-grandmother’s family is rumored to be from Italy, but I’m not sure, she had clear eyes and was really fun,I wanted to live in Rio Grande Do Sul, because they say it is much safer
    But I’m from the northeast, I think the region, most fantastic in Brazil, research on the accent, it’s really funny, our culture, everything is beautiful, much better than the South, and the most famous states like Rio De Janeiro, and São Paulo, should see how Bahia, a state in the northeast of Brazil, is really beautiful see vlogs of people traveling in this state, it is unique, and also see the beautiful, beautiful northeast beaches, I love that Brazil is very hot, and the sun here and really really hot and beautiful

2. TITI623 says:

She really looks like a typical American white Celtic
    It looks a bit like me, but I’m more different than her
    My surname is also Portuguese, but it is a curious case, because many of the surnames were given as if they were theirs, and have been changed, some of the Africans and Indians did not have surnames, or maybe they married Europeans, and I also think that my surname is Portuguese, because half of my family is white, there are some mixed up too, but my great grandmother is very European, her surname looks very Portuguese, but she told me that her family came from Rio Grande Do Sul, a state in Brazil , where there is a large proportion of Europe, of people who are from Europe and came to this state almost all of its population is white, it is very curious, there are some places that really look like Europe, but you find black people there too, My great-grandmother’s family is rumored to be from Italy, but I’m not sure, she had clear eyes and was really fun,I wanted to live in Rio Grande Do Sul, because they say it is much safer

3. bablah says:

Her sister Isabella is married to former basketball player Baron Davis.

4. Connerfromvine says:

Her eyebrows basically touch her eyes. Theres like no space between.

5. me says:

I’m brazilian,and I think she has some african and indigenous ancestry, but she looks mostly white,she looks portuguese.

• Ardor says:

Yes. She’s mostly European (say 80%), but she does have indigenous ancestry (20%). Which makes her really beautiful.

• danishcookie7 says:

It’s possible she might have african too. Brazil has one of the highest black populations in Latin America if I’m not mistaken. One of my brazilian friends is a german brazilian with his family being there for over 10 generations but even he has an Afro Brazilian great grandmother that one of his german brazilian grandparents mated with.

• TITI623 says:

I am from Brazil and I can declare, Brazil has a black population but, 6.00 of Brazilians are very dark skinned black, they are usually mixed with white and black, or with the largest population, I also have black, African blood, but it’s far away, and my father has a black father or black mother, but they are no longer alive

• TITI623 says:

Here everyone has black blood, it may even be distant, but we know that blacks are not the majority here in Brazil

• TITI623 says:

Because of the American colorism of an activist, now everyone is black in Brazil, even people with lighter skin, but darker, that is, not white, but light and a little dark because they have black relatives, so she is considered black, but here in Brazil this is not taken seriously

• Lee says:

Race is a FALSE concept. An average European is a lot more related to an Azerbaijan or a Lebanese than he/she is to a Mongolian or an Ethiopian. Haplogroups that Europeans carry originated in the Middle East/West Asia, Anatolia and South Caucasus and there’s PLENTY of evidence. For instance, Semitic is a group of language it’s not a race of its a race then Scandinavians and Germanic tribes would also be Semitic! Genetically the middle eastern haplogroup J is the Scandinavian haplogroup I sibling their ancestor is called IJ both siblings lived and mixed together until they separated J migrated to the Middle East and I migrated to Scandinavia and you can check for yourself.

• Lee says:

The Levantine Neolithic population that contributed heavily to the modern Arabs had Basal Eurasian ancestry (also present in reasonably high proportions in modern Europe) and a so-called Unknown Hunter-Gatherer (UHG) that was clearly related to the Western Hunter-Gatherers (WHG) that once dominated Europe after the Last Glacial Maximum and until the Neolithic Era (and still contribute to 10% to 25% of the genetic makeup of the modern Europeans, depending on the subregion).

Arabs of the North Levant & North Mesopotamia region (Syria, North Iraq, Lebanon, even some Palestinian and Jordanians) may look particularly closer to some Europeans. That’s because they have less North African and Subsaharan African admixtures in their DNA ancestry in comparison with North Africans and Southwest Asians (Arabians and most South Levantines).

They also have, compared to other Arab/Arabized peoples, higher proportions of some of the ancient genetic admixtures shared with Europeans, mainly Caucasian and Anatolian Neolithic ancestral components, both of which contributed heavily to make modern Europeans what they are. On the other hand, all West Asians and, less so, North Africans also have high amounts of Iranian Neolithic ancestry, which is also present in Europe, particularly in parts of Southern Europe like Greece and South Italy.

• TITI623 says:

But there are not so many blacks here, at least in my opinion, the opinion of a Brazilian who researched and saw that half the population is black

• TITI623 says:

Most people like me, with african acenstry, Either they are mixed with whites, or they are just whites, in my whole life, I only saw people mixed with white and black, I only saw two black people in my school days

• TITI623 says:

We must know that this black family that we have in our family is still a long way off, but there are cases where the whole family is black, but it is not as much as mixtures and white people

• Lee says:

Middle easterners are the originators of light skin due to ancient migration from the middle east to europe, Europeans are Anatolian and “Caucasian” the main contributors what makes us what we are. So