Cardi B

Cardi B – 2017 BET Awards – Arrivals – Microsoft Theater – Los Angeles, CA, USA – Photo Credit: phred mosbey / PR Photos

Birth Name: Belcalis Almanzar

Place of Birth: Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York City, New York, U.S.

Date of Birth: October 11, 1992

Ethnicity: Dominican Republic, Trinidadian [mix of African and Spanish]

Cardi B is an American rapper, songwriter, and media personality.

She was born in Washington Heights, Manhattan, and was raised in The Bronx. Her parents were born in the Dominican Republic, and her mother lived in Trinidad. Cardi has said, “my mum is Trini &spaniard my pop Dominican.” Her parents both also have African ancestry. Cardi stated on Breakfast Club Power 105.1 FM that she is a Boston Red Sox fan because “That’s where all the Dominicans are at,” that most Dominican players are with the Red Sox. A picture of Cardi’s mother can be seen here.

Her sister is social media star and television personality Hennessy Carolina.

Cardi B is married to hip hop recording artist Offset, with whom she has a daughter.

Cardi has said:

One thing that always bothers me is that people know so little about my culture. We are Caribbean people. And a lot of people be attacking me because they feel like I don’t be saying that I’m black… Some people want to decide if you’re black or not, depending on your skin complexion, because they don’t understand Caribbean people or our culture. I don’t got to tell you that I’m black. I expect you to know it… I expect people to understand that just because we’re not African American, we are still black. It’s still in our culture. Just like everybody else, we came over here the same f**king way. I hate when people try to take my roots from me.

Source: http://www.thefader.com

1. Ava900 says:

Black is not a identity or a ethnicity. You are whatever ancestry you identify as. So no, looking African doesn’t mean you are Black

2. izzybizzy says:

Most Caribbean’s are a mix of African and European. Why are people denying her ethnicity based on some pictures of her parents?

• andrew says:

they also have Amerindian ancestry. In Trinidadians is very visible too.

• italiano90 says:

Because people (not specifically on this site) are calling Cardi B a black woman. To be a black woman you need to have two black parents. Angela Bassett, Whitney Houston, Oprah WInfrey, etc are black women. Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Bob Marley etc are biracial. Cardi B is tri-racial. She is a mix of european, black and taino. Cardi herself doesn’t identify as being black. She has said she has african ancestry but she also says she’s mixed and thats what she is.

3. mmessina92 says:

Cardi’s mother is Dominican also. She LIVED in Trinidad, but she is ethnically Dominican.

This is her mother:

4. italiano90 says:

Apparently her mother isn’t really trinidadian. She is a dominican born in Trinidad. Why do people say Cardi B is black? Yes its obvious she has distant african ancestry but not enough for her to be considered black. Her father is clearly heavily european influenced. Her mom looks triguena. Cardi is mixed. I wouldnt even classify her as afro latina. She’s just a heavily mixed person. I have yet to see a family member of hers that looks black and theres A LOT of them on the web.