Jay Sean

by ethnic on November 13, 2009

Birth Name: Kamaljit Singh Jhooti

Place of Birth: Hillingdon, Middlesex, England, U.K.

Date of Birth: 26 March, 1979

Ethnicity: Punjabi Indian

Jay Sean is a British singer and songwriter.

He was born to Punjabi Sikh parents from India. Jay has said that for his stage name, he chose Jay, as it is a common Indian name, and Sean, as it means shining in Punjabi.

Jay has been described as “the first Indian artist to break the American pop scene.”

Jay is married to American R&B singer and model Thara Prashad, with whom he has a daughter. Thara is of Indo-Guyanese, Irish, and African-American descent.

Featureflash / Shutterstock.com

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

ihatemostpeople February 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Lmfao and here I thought he was Puerto Rican this whole time. He looks hella Puerto Rican!!

Humma March 17, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Straight up Punjabi!!!!!!!!

Grace February 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm

That is very racist, Indian men are fine and many are considered some of the hottest in the world. I like them more than Latinos/Brazilains for sure :))

priya February 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I don’t really care were he is from just kitting i do care (cant you understand that way he speak way he look way he act just like Indian people and i was born in Australia and i don’t even know how too spake Hindi but people still call me you are Indian i don’t even look like Indian and people say you are Indian).

Aadith January 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm

In the uk,where indians are well-represented and perhaps the most visible minority-If you asked any white british man or woman what race is jay ean,they would all say South Asian.
You yanks are deluded.
Mexicans have looked like this for how long?
Indians have looked like this for millenia.
Some mexicans look like idnians,not the other way around.
We came first.
And again,he looks bloody punjabi.

Hope Moretti September 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

my god. leave us mexicans alone -.- this is about him being indian. he’s hot. that’s all

John January 18, 2012 at 11:34 am

Jay sean the voice of tommorow….I like his voice.

NINA DEBREV IS A GYPSY March 16, 2012 at 7:20 am

WHITE GIRLS DONT LIKE INDIAN GUYS

ihatemostpeople February 18, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Um tell that to my friend’s parents. Her mom is white and her dad is Indian….

Mac January 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

He looks pretty Punjabi, if u guys think he doesn’t look Indian probably because u see more tamil or southern indians or darker indians, he looks pretty punjabi to me or any northwest Indian ethnic group ! The furthest away from India he looks is maybe Pakistani, Iranian, or Arab, not Mexican and stuff really

Elena December 17, 2011 at 6:36 am

I’m not arguing with anyone, I just stated my honest opinion and other people disagreed with me, and took it to a whole new level. I still stand by my statement. He looks Mexican. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks that.

STFU December 17, 2011 at 6:28 am

All of you are wrong. The man clearly looks Black.. *rolls eyes* (I’m being sarcastic, just in case some idiot thinks I’m serious)

Now can you all just shut up about his race? How long can this argument go on?!

Anonymous101 April 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Every brown person is NOT Mexican.

I hate ignorant people. December 17, 2011 at 2:35 am

can you all stop arguing about his ethnicity? who cares if he looks mexican or doesn’t look mexican. all i care about is his sexiness and his gorgeous voice. his ethnicity is irrelevant to me.

Mac January 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm

SO why are u on this website ??? Ethnicelebs ??????

melissa j. December 17, 2011 at 2:31 am

@ Elena: I don’t what kind of Latinos you’re around but the ones where I live don’t look like Jay Sean.

Gennifer December 15, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Wow he’s Indian? Here I thought he was Mexican! LMAO. Oops…

Elena December 16, 2011 at 12:35 am

some indians can pass for mexicans, and some mexicans can pass for indians. trust me, i’ve seen a lot…

someone from somewhere December 16, 2011 at 3:58 am

Mexican isn’t a race. OMG. Why are some people still so dumb!?

Elena December 16, 2011 at 7:53 am

I’m sure you know what I mean when I say the word Mexican. I mean someone who is Mestizo. Jay Sean looks like a typical Mestizo to me. Just come to Southern California and you’ll see what I mean. I’m around Latinos all the time and they look a lot like him!

melissa j. December 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm

you must need glasses because jay sean doesn’t look latin at all. it’s pretty obvious he’s indian.

Elena December 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I need glasses??? Really because I just asked my family (who don’t know about Jay Sean or his ethnicity) what his ethnicity is, and they all said some sort of Latino/Hispanic. My uncle said he looks like a Mexican guy that he used to work with. I’m not blind!

Anonymous December 15, 2011 at 2:00 am

He’s hot as hell! I’m half Indian (father), and half White (mother). It makes me happy seeing Indians becoming more exposed and popular in the American entertainment industry.

Indian girl November 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Can’t believe ppl think he doesn’t look Indian .. Dumb white ppl

... December 16, 2011 at 3:04 am

why do you assume it’s white people? it’s the non whites like mestizo latin americans going around saying people who are white (but not anglo white) or of a race where brown skin is prevalent look “hispanic”

white girl December 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm

as i know the average iq in India much bellow european iq so you are obviously a typical indian who lacks intelligence and to put in your 2nd grade vocabulary level, someone who is dumb and based on your spelling, you fit that description.
DUMB INDIAN !

moon August 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm

he is as handsome as his voice.. i like him…whatever his ethnicity is.

booboo December 18, 2010 at 7:43 pm

lik omgg hes Indian idkk dat

Mumy October 31, 2010 at 6:57 pm

i thought he was bangladeshi like me lol.

DatMatt July 20, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Indians look different lol Just look at Aziz Ansari(Tamil), Bobby Jindal(Punjabi), Aishwarya Rai(Tuluva), Deepika Padukone(Mangalorean), Kal Penn(Gujarati)

monica July 20, 2010 at 2:35 pm

he sooooooooooooooooo does not look INDIAN!!!!!!!!!!!! DO you guys think he’s cute???

Ayan December 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Indian is a nationality, not a race or ethnicity; Jay’s ethnicity is Punjaban/Punjabi and his national origin is Indian. India is made up of tons of ethnic groups. And there is no such language as “Indian.” Sean/shaan means shining star in Punjabi.

Previous post: