Gina Rodriguez

by follers on December 11, 2014

BraveHeart Women Awards 2011 - Arrivals

Birth Name: Gina Alexis Rodriguez

Place of Birth: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.

Date of Birth: July 30, 1984

Ethnicity: Puerto Rican (African, Spanish, Taino), possibly other

Gina Rodriguez is an American actress. Her parents, Magali and Genaro Rodriguez, are Puerto Rican. A picture of Gina with her parents can be seen here.

Gina was raised Catholic. She is a practicing Christian.

Gina has said that her father is of Afro-Latino descent. She has also stated:

I have Dutch in me and Taino. Possibly some Italian too. I’m all the things!

Gina also added that her maternal grandfather was a “French Jew”, and also that her great-grandfather was French. She has also said, “I have a Jewish grandmother, and she is just as fierce as my Puerto Rican grandmother is”.

Gina has said:

Television and film are supposed to be a reflection of reality, right? We just want to see a slice of life. We want to be able to connect. We want to cry. We want to look at our lives on screen. It’s clear to me that execs need to step outside of their office and really look at life. We are in interracial relationships. We speak multiple languages. We’re multiple religions inside of that. I have Jewish ancestors. My sister converted to Judaism. I have Christians and Catholics and Buddhists in my family. I have multiracial, multiethnic relationships. We need to start casting color-blind because there is no specific anymore.

Source: https://twitter.com

Photo by Prphotos.com

{ 43 comments… read them below or add one }

bearboy October 9, 2017 at 1:44 pm

She also says to be Dutch, Taino, and possibly Italian btw. source: twitter

bearboy October 9, 2017 at 1:49 pm

“CORRECTION’

madman August 29, 2017 at 1:44 am

More quotes about her Jewish roots:

“I grew up Catholic. I have Jewish in my family and I attend a Christian church in Hollywood. I am basically all over the place.”

“I have Jewish family, yes. And love my mixed cultural diverse and loving family!!!”

“I have Jewish ancestors. My sister converted to Judaism. I have Christians and Catholics and Buddhists in my family. I have multiracial, multiethnic relationships. We need to start casting color-blind because there is no specific anymore.”

She really believes this. I think her mother likely has two European Jewish parents, but was born in Puerto Rico.

follers August 29, 2017 at 3:44 am

Two European Jewish parents?

If her mother and maternal grandmother are Jewish, her sister wouldn’t need to convert to Judaism. No rabbi would preside over her conversion.

bearboy August 29, 2017 at 5:54 am

Or it could be her maternal grandfather was the “French Jew” and the paternal grandmother was the Jewish one who is “as fierce as the Puerto Rican grandmother.” I am only basing this on her paternal grandfather is “Rodriguez (not French) and if she is telling the truth (like @Follers said) her maternal grandmother wasn’t Jewish. Anyway @Follers can you please add Noah Centineo from The Fosters. I would but no clue if he is Italian, Latino, etc.

bearboy August 29, 2017 at 6:03 am

BTW if she had said her grandfather was Jewish I would be a little more hesitant to believe it then if she said specifically which country. She has been consistent on having French ancestors. https://twitter.com/hereisgina/status/781963504987217920?lang=en

bablah August 29, 2017 at 6:19 am

I think this is Noah’s grandfather
and that his wife was Louise Falcone.

His mother’s last name sounds kinda Portuguese or Spanish, but it could be neither.

bearboy August 29, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Thanks, any information on Gina Rodriguez’s grandparents would also be incredibly appreciated.
sincerely, bearboy

madman August 30, 2017 at 7:53 am

Why do you think that one comment about her sister’s conversion weights more than all her other comments about her Jewish ancestry? There are countless possibilities.

I think her mother’s parents are both Jewish because she has mentioned having both a Jewish grandfather and a Jewish grandmother. But maybe one of them is a convert, I don’t know.

follers August 30, 2017 at 1:27 pm

“she has mentioned having both a Jewish grandfather and a Jewish grandmother.”

That’s exactly why I dismiss both. :-)

madman August 30, 2017 at 1:42 pm

But bearboy said she has Jewish ancestry, so we have to go with that. He knew Abigail Breslin was part Jewish all along.

follers August 30, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Robert E. Lee wasn’t Jewish, so how could Rodriguez’ grandmother be descended from him and be fully ethnically Jewish at the same time?

madman August 30, 2017 at 1:49 pm

I find Gina’s statements to be more believable than other celebrities’. These aren’t just individual throwaway comments, they are consistant. And it is also not a distant ancestry she refers to. Assuming she knows her ancestry well (and doesn’t believe that she has ancestry that she doesn’t have, which is unlikely since she only mentiones recent ancestors), she either tells the truth, is a pathological liar, or is trying to fool us all.

follers August 30, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I did mention the possibility that Breslin had a paternal grandmother of a different ancestry group.

I would have probably believed Rodriguez’ statement about a Jewish maternal grandfather, but that changed once she also said Jewish grandmother.

bearboy August 30, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I have to agree with madman on this particular debate. sorry follers I hope we can remain friends.

andrew August 30, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Part Jewish or not, she had a Catholic upbringing.

@admin

About Hispanics and Brazilians, to not appear ridiculous I recommend you to just write “Puerto Rican”, “Cuban” etc… I know they’re just nationalities, but you can’t know exactly their entire ethnic background from their physical appearence. It seems that you alwais fall in love with the “African” part and not with the obvious Native American/Indigenous one.

her parents: https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/BuiElMXPj8Sp7hr-2z59M9fYl7A/fit-in/2048xorig/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2016/08/19/647/n/37139775/7af1f159_edit_img__42250757_1471616606_f34e4b19_ginathumb/i/Gina-Rodriguez-Throwback-Picture-Her-Parents.jpg)

andrew August 30, 2017 at 4:50 pm

bearboy August 30, 2017 at 4:56 pm

I agree with Andrew. Pretty much every Latino has a mixture of Spanish/Portuguese/European, Native American, and varying degrees of Sub-Saharan African DNA. In fact I think Gina Rodriguez could be more Native American/Indigenous than African. But unless were are able to trace the ancestry or have a DNA test present leave it to the basic nationalities.

andrew September 2, 2017 at 8:03 am

thanks for your feedback. It’s also interesting that her “Afro-Latino” father has blue eyes. In this side picture he reminds me of Arnold Schwarznegger: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-8agP5FHcYU/maxresdefault.jpg

fuzzybear44 September 2, 2017 at 11:58 pm

@Andrew

Quote(It’s also interesting that her “Afro-Latino” father has blue eyes)

So Michael Ealy has blue eyes, and he’s Afro-American

bearboy August 12, 2017 at 12:25 pm

She without a doubt has French-Jewish ancestry. source: @Bearboy

bearboy August 9, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Has the “French Jewish” grandfather been disproven?

andrew March 19, 2017 at 7:09 am
Rip October 6, 2016 at 12:54 am

She looks mixed Spanish and Native with an African component. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if a genetic test revealed her breakdown to be similar to Michelle Rodriguez who’s mostly European with an African component and a lesser amount of Native.

fuzzybear44 October 6, 2016 at 1:04 am

Well she has stated in an interview, that her father is of partial African descend(she called him Afro-latino). Also you’re probably right about the similarity

flo January 7, 2017 at 8:14 pm

fuzzybear44 January 8, 2017 at 1:11 am

@ flo

Quote(She must not know what Afro Latino means. He looks mestizo. If he’s part black it’s very little.)

It’s what she said her father was. It might be the way he’s sees himself. While everyone else runs from their African heritage, maybe he doesn’t. He might have more African blood than you think

AW March 18, 2017 at 10:49 pm

And while you may have more of one ethnicity, percentage-wise in your DNA, it doesn’t mean it will express itself in an obvious physical way. That’s why you end up with mixed kids where one sibling looks more black and the other looks more white. Genetics are random and a recessive or dominant trait could show up further down the line. Red hair is an example of this–people can be carriers of the red hair gene but it doesn’t show up in their features or their offspring’s features (even if both parents pass it onto the child). So even if her father doesn’t look very African, he could still be 50% or higher in his DNA estimates.

bearboy August 31, 2017 at 6:21 pm

@Bablah or @Follers, is Gina’s mother Magali’s maiden name “Herminio?” I am wondering because I see a lot of documents with her name having Herminio in it. Sorry want to get to the bottom of this Jewish mystery lol :)

blue August 13, 2017 at 8:20 am

i dont see the spanish, the White is french, and yes she looks very asian, like philipines or thailand or chinese, like zuleika rivera, but i see a photo of her parents and are very very very native for a puerto rican because they looks from ecuador or peru or Bolivia, very native american, this is why she looks so asian.

Pegzi August 5, 2016 at 4:53 am

She’s a bit ugly and creepy looking. Her irises make her look like her pupils are enormous and she’s horsey.

Adrian1Cram February 12, 2016 at 10:59 pm

She looks south east asian to me.

Mdelacruz16 January 7, 2016 at 11:14 pm

She’s Puerto Rican get over it you dicks, I can’t stand people who want somene to claim their culture or race so bad, she’s Puerto Rican both of her parents are Puerto Rican, get fuckin over it.

Look up Puerto Rican demographics, you’ll see we are very mixed.

whoever says she does not look Puerto Rican must not been to Puerto Rico, New York or Boston, there is no “Puerto Rican” look you ignorant fucks,

Bow Down Bitches July 26, 2015 at 7:59 pm

what the hell, she looks straight up south east asian or polynesian

AW March 18, 2017 at 10:51 pm

I’m guessing that her Asiatic look comes from possible Native American Taino genes…

GypsyQueen July 19, 2015 at 3:01 pm

She’s beautiful and flawless. She looks like a mestiza Mexican, Colombian or Brazilian not Puerto Rican though.

marjanel September 23, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Colombian and brazilia mestizo doen´t look like that. Those are triracial or mulattos.

Check7t June 20, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Looks like a mestiza, which is odd for a Puerto Rican, especially seeing how the average PR is only like 5% Native American.

cwm85 July 20, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Its not odd. Puerto is very diverse mixture: A recent genetic DNA study conducted in Puerto Rico suggests that between 52.6% and 84% of the population possess some degree of Amerindian mtDNA in their maternal ancestry, usually in a combination with other ancestries. In addition, these DNA studies show Amerindian ancestry in addition to the Taíno.[198][199][200][201]

One genetic study on the racial makeup of Puerto Ricans found them to be roughly around 61% West Eurasian (overwhelmingly of Spanish provenance), 27% Sub-Saharan African and 11% Native American.[202] Another genetic study from 2007, claimed that “the average genomewide individual (ie. Puerto Rican) ancestry proportions have been estimated as 66%, 18%, and 16%, for European, West African, and Native American, respectively.”[203] Other study estimates 63.7% European, 21.2% (Sub-Saharan) African, and 15.2% Native American; European ancestry is more prevalent in the West and in Central Puerto Rico, African in Eastern Puerto Rico, and Native American in Northern Puerto Rico.[204]

And according to DNA Tribes SNP Admixture Results by Population 2013, Puerto Ricans are 72.2% West Eurasian (49% European, 18.3% Saharan-Arabian, 4.9% West Asian), 12.7% Native American, 12.5% Sub-Saharan African, and 1.4% Northeast African.[205]

bleachsoda April 23, 2016 at 12:30 pm

most puerto ricans look 75% spaniard and 25% african, and its pretty rare for a puerto rican to have that much native in them most have around 6% native in them, and many canary islanders migrated to puerto rico, canarians are a mix of spaniard and ancient berbers, many canarians do look somewhat mestizo but its not due to having any amerindian blood, you’ll find pure berbers that look very mestizo

M June 4, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Wtf? She looks Filipino.

west final December 1, 2015 at 1:28 am

Gina is most definitely mixed race. Filipino and Latin. She is clearly Filipina because her father is Filipino and looks Filipina. Why she denies this part of her heritage is odd. It’s hurtful to a culture.

fuzzybear44 April 19, 2016 at 12:52 am

@west final

Well I’ve seen where she has stated , that her father is Afro-latino, but not Filipino

Previous post: