Britney Spears

Spears in 2011, Helga Esteb / Shutterstock.com

Birth Name: Britney Jean Spears

Place of Birth: McComb, Mississippi, U.S.

Date of Birth: December 2, 1981

Ethnicity: English, along with 1/16th Maltese, and small amounts of Scottish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Irish, French, and Welsh

Britney Spears is an American pop singer, songwriter, dancer, and actress. She is the daughter of Lynne Irene (Bridges) and James Parnell “Jamie” Spears. She is the sister of actress and singer Jamie Lynn Spears. Britney has two children with her former husband, dancer, rapper, model, and actor Kevin Federline.

Britney’s maternal grandmother was an English war bride, and one of Britney’s maternal great-great-grandfathers was Maltese. Most of the rest of Britney’s recent ancestors were American-born, with most of her roots being English, along with Scottish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Irish, French, and Welsh, all of them distant or remote to various degrees. Some of Britney’s distant English ancestors lived in Barbados and Liberia.

Britney’s paternal grandfather was June Austin Spears (the son of June Bacot/Becker Spears and Nova Mae Gill). Britney’s grandfather June was born in Louisiana. Britney’s great-grandfather June was the son of Pascal Greene Spears and Mary Pauline Bridges. Nova was the daughter of James Monroe Gill and Effie Strahan.

Britney’s paternal grandmother was Emma Jean Forbes (the daughter of William Nelson Forbes and Lexie/Lexis May Thompson). Emma was born in Mississippi. William was the son of William Nelson Forbes and Kiturah/Katuriah Leona Ball. Lexie was the daughter of Ernest Fulton Thompson and Bertha Magee.

Britney’s maternal grandfather was Barnett/Barney O’Field Bridges (the son of Joel Menton Bridges and Adeline/Addie/Addy Williams). Barnett was born in Louisiana. Joel was the son of James/John Jackson Bridges and Mary Josephine Phillips. Adeline was the daughter of Marshall E. Williams and Missouri E. Wall.

Britney’s maternal grandmother was Lilian/Lillian Irene Portell (the daughter of George Anthony Portelli/Portell and Lilian Esther Lewis). Britney’s grandmother Lilian was born in Barkham Road, Tottenham. George was the son of Edward Richard Portelli, who was from Malta, and of Alice Taylor. Lilian was the daughter of James Lewis and Esther Moss. Britney’s Maltese great-great-grandfather Edward was the son of Antonio Portelli; it is possible that Edward was of Italian ancestry, like many people on Malta.

Britney’s parents are third cousins. Two of Britney’s paternal great-great-great-grandparents, William Lee Bridges and Pauline Ann Travis, were also two of Britney’s maternal great-great-great-grandparents.

Sources: Genealogies of Britney Spears – http://www.wargs.com

Genealogies of Britney’s paternal grandparents, June Austin Spears and Emma Jean Forbes – http://www.findagrave.com

Article about the family of Britney’s maternal grandmother, Lilian Irene Portell – http://www.dailymail.co.uk

1. danishcookie7 says:

1. You think every white celebrity looks “ethnic”. What’s next? Reese Witherspoon looks ethnic to you too?

2. What does a “Hispanic” even look like?

3. I think you’re a troll with a dupe account.

• jackson9 says:

you are the troll. People like you go around attacking Neil Tennant for saying Britney Spears is exotic. She is in Neil’s eyes. get a life and troll somewhere else!

• andrew says:

Of course, for an Afghan fella, she is exotic.

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

Look at Rosalía, she’s white, but she’s Hispanic
          And even Hispanics from the past are mixed, but they are ethnically white, in Spain

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

Look at Nathalia Ramos, she is a white woman of Jewish origin, but she is Spanish, meaning Hispanic and Latin

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

HISPANIC AND LATINA*

• Oaken05 says:

Please start consolidating/combining your thoughts. There is no reason for you to spam three or four consecutive comments on one page just because you can’t get your thoughts together.

Try harder.

• jackson9 says:

You aren’t wrong about Hispanics/Latinos. but I don’t even understand why one post was necessary? No one was disputing any of the facts you were providing. I know Latinos (from central to south America) can range from any mix of European, Native American, Sub-Saharan African, and even Asian ancestry.

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

I was talking about it from whites and Hispanics, that’s what I wanted to talk about: D, yes, I’m not a teacher, I’m not spamming I just wanted to talk, it didn’t make any sense, but I wanted to talk about it

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

In fact, even you on this site are mixed with other ethnicities, United States, Canada, etc.
            U.S
            Slaves
            Canada many immigrants too

I meant that everyone in America is mixed, from the south or the north, I think that white and Hispanic doesn’t matter so much anymore

• jackson9 says:

I didn’t say you were spamming no need to get defensive buddy. I am from the United States and although I doubt I am mixed with Sub-Saharan African or East Asian ancestry I wouldn’t mind it at all.

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

Yes I didn’t say that about Spam to you
        Cool!

2. jackson9 says:

I believe Britney’s 2nd great-grandfather Edward Richard Portelli was the son of Antonio Portelli (1847-1926). Born in Malta, died in Hampshire England. I don’t have an ancestry subscription to confirm this but some people list Antonio’s parents as Domenico Portelli and Maria Chircop. Domenico (1818) would be the son of Vincenzo Portelli (1790) Malta and Maddalena Misfud (1795) Malta. BTW “Misfud” is a very common Sephardic Jewish surname from Malta. If anyone could look into that I would be very happy. thanks