Camila Mendes

Camila Mendes – Marie Claire Celebrates “Fresh Faces” with an Event Sponsored by Maybelline – Arrivals – Doheny Room Lounge, 9077 Santa Monica Boulevard – West Hollywood, CA, USA, 2017 – Photo Credit: PRPhotos.com

Birth Name: Camila Carraro Mendes

Place of Birth: Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S.

Date of Birth: June 29, 1994

Ethnicity: Brazilian [Portuguese, Indigenous, likely Italian and other]

Camila Mendes is an American actress. She stars as Veronica on the show Riverdale.

She is the daughter of Gisele (Carraro) and Victor Mendes.

Camila’s parents are Brazilian. Her father is from Brasília and her mother is from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul. Her father’s surname is usually Portuguese. Her maternal grandfather’s parents had surnames that are often/usually of Italian origin. Growing up, Camila lived in Plantation, Florida, for several years, and for a year in Brazil.

Camila has stated:

For me, being an ‘American Latina’ means identifying with and being influenced by both my American upbringing and my Latin heritage and I have so much appreciation for how those two cultures have created who I am.

Camila’s paternal grandmother was named Dalu. She is pictured here.

Camila’s maternal grandfather was Nelson Bauce Carraro (the son of Luis Carlos Carraro and Ana Aurora Bauce). Nelson was born in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.

Camila’s maternal grandmother is named Léa Mariza Maia. Léa was born in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.

Source: http://www.glamour.com

1. LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

Carraro is a italian surname, yes or no

2. stlucas says:

Camila’s paternal grandmother was named Dalu. She is pictured here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWN9_3rgFzi/

3. TeddyBearBoy says:

Never would’ve guessed she was brazillian

4. andrew says:

being her mother white (and with a Venetian surname) her father is definitely mixed-race

• stlucas says:

Most people from Brasília are. I’m quite sure her father has some Amerindian roots.

• andrew says:

she looks Polynesian

• alexgxo says:

LOL. She doesn’t look Polynesian whatsoever. She looks many Native admixed Latinos I’ve seen.

I assume you and many others don’t consider Camila “white” but I have friends who say otherwise. It depends on perspective I guess. To my friends they see anyone pale skin as “white”. And that includes many East Asians who have white skin (and when European explorers first arrived in East Asia, they originally described them as “white”).

And in Camila’s own home country she can definitely pass and identify as “white”. There are “White” Brazilians with some African or Native ancestry and look more “ethnic” than her but still pass and identify as “white”.

• andrew says:

I am not sure she may be considered branca (white) in his home country.

It’s true native Tongans or Samoans are much more brown than her, but I’ve seen her phenotype in Cook Islands women.

• italiano90 says:

@alexgxo She is not white passing. East Asians are not “white” and never will be simply because…they aren’t. Whats wrong with being asian? Also many East Asians aren’t TRULY pale. Most East Asians have brown areolas/genitalia. Most turn a fine golden color under the sun. Having light skin doesn’t automatically make you pale.

• Yesterday says:

There are more white people in Brazil than mixed people actually.

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

People, America so-called a lot of immigration to Europe, there are countries with a lot of Indians or blacks or both, it is normal in America to have a black and indigenous ancestry, but if your family is half white or half colored with white ancestry you are white, I have distant indigenous relatives, but it is difficult to notice that I have this origin of the true owners of America, you do not need to look like indigenous or black, you are just born genetically white, we are not mixed we are mixed whites, mixed blacks, here the black population is not as big as in some others, people think that here is africa of america itself, but in fact here there is so much mixture, and this is cool

• LIAHtheoldertiti35 says:

There are many Latinos with dual origins, but there are also those who are genetically white, people still do not believe that there are white people in Mexico, because they think that all of them have indigenous and white traits

• fuzzybear44 says: