Hillary Clinton

Clinton in 2007, Albert H. Teich / Shutterstock.com

Birth Name: Hillary Diane Rodham

Place of Birth: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.

Date of Birth: October 26, 1947

Ethnicity:
*father – English, Welsh
*mother – Welsh, English, Scottish, French, French-Canadian, remote Dutch and Swiss-French

Hillary Clinton, also known as Hillary Rodham Clinton, is an American diplomat and politician.

She was the Democratic Party’s nominee for President of the United States in 2016, when she won the popular vote, but not the electoral college. Hillary is the first woman to have been nominated for the Presidency by a major political party. As a Democrat, she has served as a U.S. Senator from New York, from January 3, 2001 to January 21, 2009, and as U.S. Secretary of State, from January 21, 2009 to February 1, 2013.

Hillary’s father, Hugh Ellsworth Rodham, was of English and Welsh descent. Hillary’s mother, Dorothy Emma (Howell), had Welsh, English, Scottish, French, French-Canadian, and remote Dutch and Swiss-French, ancestry. Hillary is married to President Bill Clinton, and, as such, was First Lady of the United States, from 1993 to 2001. The couple’s daughter is Chelsea Clinton.

Hillary was also a candidate for the Democratic Party’s nomination for President of the United States in 2008.

Hillary is the only woman to have won a major party’s presidential primary and/or nominating contest, 23 in 2008 and 34 in 2016, other than Shirley Chisholm, who won three non-traditional contests in 1972. Margaret Chase Smith was the first woman to launch a notable campaign for a major political party’s presidential nomination, in 1964, for the Republican Party.

Seven of Hillary’s eight great-grandparents were born outside of the United States.

In her autobiography, Living History (2004), Hillary stated that her maternal grandmother was of part Native American ancestry. The official website of the National First Ladies’ Library lists Hillary as having Native American ancestry. However, no Native American (or Native Canadian) ancestry has ever been documented/verified for Hillary Clinton.

Genealogist William Addams Reitwiesner wrote Hillary’s ancestral lineage out as such, with approximate fractions:

*43.75% English
*31.25% Welsh
*13.28% Scottish
*11.62% French/French-Canadian
*0.1% Dutch
*0.05% Swiss-French

Hillary’s paternal grandfather was Hugh Simpson Rodham (the son of Jonathan Rodham and Isabella Simpson Bell). Hugh was born in Kyo, co. Durham, England, to parents who were also from Durham. Jonathan was the son of Joseph Rodham and Elizabeth Scurfield. Isabella was the daughter of Thomas Bell and Elizabeth Dawson.

Hillary’s paternal grandmother was Hannah “Anna” Jones (the daughter of William Jones and Mary A. Griffiths). Hannah was born in Pennsylvania, to Welsh parents. Her mother was from Merthyr Tydfil in Wales.

Hillary’s maternal grandfather was Edwin John Howell, Jr. (the son of Edwin John Howell and Emma Josephine Monk). Hillary’s grandfather Edwin was born in Illinois. Hillary’s great-grandfather Edwin was born in Bristol, Gloucester, England, the son of Edwin Howell and Jane Sophia Babb. Hillary’s great-grandmother Emma was born in Canada, the daughter of John H. Monk, whose parents were English, and of Sarah Abbs, who was English.

Hillary’s maternal grandmother was Della Murray (the daughter of Daniel Murray/Murry and Delia Martin). Hillary’s grandmother Della was born in Illinois. Hillary’s great-grandmother Delia was born in Michigan, the daughter of Antoine Martin, who was French, and to Mary Anne Frances McDougall, who was born in Windsor, Ontario, and had French-Canadian, as well as Scottish, and very distant Dutch, ancestry.

Hillary’s matrilineal line can be traced to Jeanne Ducorps dit Leduc, who was born, c. 1649, in France.

Hillary’s step-grandfather was Max Rosenberg, a Russian Jewish immigrant. Max married Hillary’s maternal grandmother, Della Murray, and the couple had a daughter, Adeline (Rosenberg) Friedman. Adeline formally converted to Judaism later in life, after marrying a Jewish man, Clarence Friedman.

Hillary’s brother, Tony Rodham, was married to Nicole Boxer, the daughter of U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer, and the two have a son.

Sources: Genealogies of Hillary Clinton – http://www.wargs.com

Notes on Hillary’s ancestry, by Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak, for Irish America Magazinehttp://irishamerica.com

Genealogies of Hillary’s parents – http://www.findagrave.com

1. fuzzybear44 says:

Sorry hilly, the rednecks came out in force

• bearboy says:

Cool, @Bearboy always thought of himself as a redneck! But I must say Hillary Clinton is very attractive! she looks more Irish than @Bearboy who is 50%.

• follers says:

Ah, so “He is a great man! Yes Bearboy has made it official that he is voting for Gary Johnson this November :)” went out the window, then. Typical. Boring. Though since Clinton won your state with 59% I suppose it scarcely matters, more as a textbook case than a specific one.

• bearboy says:

I am confused where the contradiction comes in I did vote for Johnson but I think Hillary is very attractive.

• bearboy says:

Wait how do you know my home state?

• follers says:

fuzzybear44 said rednecks voted Trump in, and you ironically implied that you were an exception to his statement (i.e., not a redneck).

• follers says:

Aside from some other things, you keep adding little-known New York politicians.

• bearboy says:

First of all I said I am a redneck. Also I misunderstood since I didn’t vote in Trump that’s my fault. But I am a little confused how you knew I am of Norwegian descent and living in New York???

• bearboy says:

oh okay

• follers says:

You’re not actually of Norwegian descent. I made that up as a joke on another page. I think the only real Fennoscandian on here is Madman.

Or are you actually of Norwegian descent? Really? That’s pretty funny if the joke turned out to be true.

• bearboy says:

Anyway, I apologize for offending you @follers, you’re kind and I am sorry for my previous comments about Clinton, Trump and others leaders (I will keep my opinions to myself). So you’re not Scandinavian? I thought before the whole Norway thing I thought you said you were Jewish on another page?

• madman says:

I thought bearboy was half Irish half Norwegian. And andrew has stated before that he is Finnish.

• follers says:

While I’m a little confused about bearboy’s ethnicity now (though not Andrew’s), I think you’re on your own there in Fennoscandia, madman. And, yes, I put Bateman on the list the first time you commented on him. It all gets done eventually.

You haven’t offended me, bearboy.

• bearboy says:

Thanks for letting me know that follers I was worried before. My father is mainly Norwegian descent but is probably more mixed going back generations ago. My mother has Irish ancestry. If the whole Jewish thing is confusing, I have Jewish cousins and uncle’s by marriage and I find the people, history, and culture fascinating and considering converting from my Irish Catholic faith (mother’s faith).

• andrew says:

@ follers

Who is the one on Ethnicelebs whose wife is 1/4 Finnish?

2. bearboy says:

Hillary Clinton is at least 1/2048th Swiss as well on her mother’s side of the family. Two of Dorothy Emma Rodham (Hillary’s mother) 9th great grandparents which was Louise Recordon and Pierre Lambert were born in Switzerland.

3. savanna says:

Why are her mother and father listed separate in her Ethnicity when both are English and Welsh? “English, Welsh, Scottish, French, French-Canadian, remote Dutch” would suffice