Novak Djokovic

Djokovic in 2013, photo by Leonard Zhukovsky/Bigstock.com

Place of Birth: Belgrade, SR Serbia, SFR Yugoslavia

Date of Birth: 22 May, 1987

Ethnicity: Serbian, Croatian

Novak Djokovic is a Serbian tennis player. As of 2020, he is ranked world No. 1 in men’s singles tennis by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).

He is the son of Dijana (Žagar) and Srđan Djokovic. His father, who is of Serbian descent, was born in a village near Trepča, in Kosovo. His mother was born in Belgrade, and is of partly or entirely Croatian descent. His siblings, Marko Djokovic and Djordje Djokovic, are also tennis players. Novak is married to Jelena Ristić, with whom he has two children. His family is Serbian Orthodox.

The Đoković family is said to hail from Čevo.

Novak’s paternal grandfather was Vladimir Đoković (the son of Neđeljko Đoković and Sara Jauković). Vladimir’s parents were from Jasenovo Polje near Nikšić, now in Montenegro, and later moved to Voćnjak in Metohija. The family fled Albanians during WWII, and lived with a relative, named Novak, after whom Novak Djokovic is named.

Novak’s paternal grandmother was named Stanka.

Novak’s maternal grandparents were named Zdenko and Elizabeta Franjić. They were from Vinkovci in eastern Croatia.

Source: Genealogy of Novak Djokovic (focusing on his father’s side) – http://www.geni.com

1. Joe says:

Well it is not my agenda or my feelings in queston here .It is a fact which Novak himself explained in an interview one year ago and since this is a page that talks about ethnicity I thought I could contribute a little bit because it is obvious that you are out of touch here. But if you think that is better for this page to leave a snarky comments instead of doing a little bit of research,then go ahead let”s see how far will that bring you

• madman says:

I honestly don’t understand what you want to be changed here. Both Serbian and Croatian are already listed. You write that you don’t see why Croatian was added, yet in an earlier comment you acknowledge that his mother is part Croatian.

• Joe says:

I was just trying to explain that it is not that simple to put just one ethnicity on his mother side since it is obvious that she has more than one . But I do understand the confusion that I caused now and I do apologise . My question is- Is it enough to write just Croatian part or should one go more into details

• madman says:

Well, it depends. How much detail do you have? From the previous exchanges, it seems like the only thing that’s certain about his mother is that she’s part Croatian. Nowhere in the profile does the text imply that his mother is only Croatian. What changes could be made that would be a major improvement to the profile?

2. Joe says:

Since we already established that his ethnicity is Serbian (eventhough nobody wrote that his father is of Serbian descent), I do not see any reason why was this croatian part added, especially since his mother was of mixed ethnicity and her religion is orthodox

• Oaken05 says:

You really seem to be bent out of shaped about this. lol His mother’s ethnicity – fortunately – doesn’t depend on how you and your agenda feel about it. That’s your own personal problem you have to deal with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯