Tom Jones

by ethnic on March 2, 2010

Birth Name: Thomas Jones Woodward

Place of Birth: Treforest, Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales

Date of Birth: 7 June, 1940

Ethnicity: English, Welsh

Tom Jones is a legendary Welsh soul singer and actor. He is the son of Freda (Jones) and Thomas John Woodward.

Tom’s paternal grandparents were both English, though Tom’s father may have had a small amount of Welsh ancestry. Tom’s mother was of Welsh and English descent.

Tom is known for his blue eyes and curly black hair, although it is now mostly gray.

Tom’s paternal grandfather was James Woodward (the son of Richard Woodward and Mary Holmes). James was from Gloucestershire, England, and moved to Wales. Richard was the son of William Woodward and Hannah Workman. Mary was the daughter of Thomas Holmes and Sarah Griffiths or Pinching.

Tom’s paternal grandmother was Annie Gane (the daughter of John Gane and Elizabeth Ford). Annie was from Wiltshire, England, and moved to Wales. John was the son of George Gane and Sarah Falkner. Elizabeth was the daughter of John Ford and Jane.

Tom’s maternal grandfather was Albert Rhys Jones (the son of Rees Jones and Alice Harris). Albert was of Welsh descent, and was born in Cardiff.

Tom’s maternal grandmother was Ada Osman (the daughter of Henry Osman and Jane Mills). Ada was born in Pontypridd, Wales, to English parents, her father from Somerset and her mother from Wiltshire. Henry was the son of Mark Osman and Charlotte Owens.

Sources: Family history of Tom Jones – http://www.telegraph.co.uk

Genealogy of Tom Jones – https://www.geni.com

Tom’s paternal grandparents, James Woodward and Annie Gane, on the 1901 England and Wales Census – https://familysearch.org

photo by Helga Esteb / Shutterstock.com

{ 63 comments… read them below or add one }

andrew August 24, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Tom’s paternal grandfather on England and Wales Census, 1901:

gel August 25, 2016 at 7:11 am

Funny, I knew an English girl from Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. And she had similar dark brown curly hair! Perhaps its a local thing.

neiltennant June 21, 2016 at 1:31 pm

he had hired people who will research his ancestry

therefore it is very likely that he is black

after all the years he now has doubts about his white ancestry

it is possible that he is part black

shirley bassey has also black ancestry so why not

PB1897 November 23, 2015 at 5:02 am

I highly doubt he has any African ancestry, he probably represents a more archaic (pre-celtic/germanic) phenotype of the British Isles.

PB1897 November 23, 2015 at 5:16 am

(Message was deleted?) I agree with Alice, his supposed ‘exoticness’ is over-exaggerated and as pointed out most of his ancestry is English. People on the internet seem to think that the Welsh are ‘darker’ than the rest of Britain, which I haven’t noticed anytime I’ve been there. People of the British Isles aren’t a lost Iberian tribe (internet myth), aside from each other we’re genitically closest to the Dutch, Belgians, Northern French etc. (of course all European populations are relatively close). Also in a phenotypical sense people seem to think dark hair or brown eyes on Britons (or Northern Europeans in general for that matter) is strange or impossible, which is just false.

memphis January 8, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Not all Europeans are the same in phenotype and genetics. Southern Europe and the Balkans are very genetically diverse and can be very dasrk skinned. In ancient Roman time some of their soldiers were of African descent that settled in Britain. In Yorkshire there are people with certain surnames that carry the y DNA haplogroup A that originates in Africa.

fuzzybear44 January 9, 2017 at 2:08 am

Apparently there were a lot of black or mixed black people in ancient England. They have been digging up remains of black and mixed blacks, and storing in them in vaults in British museums. (The Lant Street teenager) is one of the new mixed blacks they unpacked, I mean unearthed

fuzzybear44 January 9, 2017 at 2:07 pm

@Andrew

Man bless you. We’ve debated what a 149 times now , were you hoping that the 150th would be your charm? You and that website(which seems to be racist) lose any credibility when you use people like Arthur Kemp a well known White supremacist as a source:

Black people and people of partial African ancestry are known to have been all over Europe (yes England to)for thousands of years. They were the first people in Europe , so You and Kemp can try all you want, but you can’t change that fact. However if placing racist websites, bloggers, an white supremacists on here make you feel good , then go head

andrew January 9, 2017 at 3:13 pm

yes, that is a “racist” site (I actually never heard Kemp before or ever read that site) but the article is right about the so-called “Lant Street teenager”, for what we know calling her “new mixed black” (!) is a bit ridiculous, as saying “a lot of black or mixed blacks” (how many ones?) in England. Also don’t play the racism card again because you’re biased as s**t, you should focus more beyond Afrocentric stuff, dear factual historian.

fuzzybear44 January 10, 2017 at 1:22 am

@Andrew

Quote(yes, that is a “racist” site (I actually never heard Kemp before or ever read that site)

The only thing ridiculous here, is your attempt to cover up your 150th screw-up . You expect the people of this site as well as myself, to believe you didn’t know that was a racist website or that you didn’t know Arthur Kemp was a white supremacist. That tell me and anyone with a IQ higher than a carrot , that you’re either incompetent or lazy , or worse case scenario (both )

You’re telling me you speak on a topic without knowing anything about the subject, OH WAIT, YOU DO THAT ALL THE TIME

Quote(Afrocentric )

You keep using that word, is it supposed to do something?

Here let me try(Afrocentric , Afrocentric , Afrocentric , Afrocentric ,Afrocentric , Afrocentric ) nope, didn’t do a thing. I didn’t melt or anything. Tell your white supremacist buddies like Kemp It must not work.

Quote(the article is right about the so-called “Lant Street teenager”, for what we know calling her “new mixed black” (!) is a bit ridiculous, as saying “a lot of black or mixed blacks” (how many ones?) in England)

I do understand that over the time that we’ve debated, that you may forget things. There have been other stories about African or people of partial African ancestry skeletal remains in England example:

The Mansell Street Man
(who is in the same group as the The Lant Street Teenager)

And I forgot the
The ivory bangle lady :

These are just some I can remember off the top of my head there are others I ‘ve put on the site before. So no not just one

Quote(Also don’t play the racism card again )

Again? I never called you a racist before, others have but not me. However if I was to call you one, I think after today, I would be more than justified.

1. After all,you’re the one putting racist websites on here, and using White supremacists as your sources.

2. You’re usually the first one to give a negative comment about anything a black member of this site says even when you know nothing about the topic(WHICH IS NOT USUAL FOR YOU).

3. You pick website just because it says something opposite of what a black member has stated(WHICH YOU PROVED TODAY)

Quote(you’re biased as s**t)

You’re right, I am bias, when it comes to Historical Facts. I longer swallow Eurocentric propaganda that you’ve been breastfed on.

Quote(you should focus more beyond Afrocentric stuff, dear factual historian)

Maybe you should just focus on football, a leave intellectual stuff to us adults

andrew January 10, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Would you believe or not, I didn’t know that site, and Kemp was and is a nobody to me (I focus more on football as you know). The heart of the matter is that the British press has created the idea of a “multicultural society” because of a handful of skeletons living in an environment made by thousands of people. Also the DNA from these new finds leads mostly to North Africa or other Roman provinces so that is not a big deal.

fuzzybear44 January 11, 2017 at 1:53 am

@Andrew

Quote(Would you believe or not, I didn’t know that site, and Kemp was and is a nobody to me )

Well see you proved my point. You only chose that site because its headline, said the opposite of what I was saying. You didn’t check out the source of the people who was saying it, just as long as they said the opposite of me , that was good enough for you.It’s not the first time you’ve done that, you’ve made a habit of it since you’ve been here on the site.. As a matter of fact anytime a black member of the site saying anything, you go far and beyond to try an oppose it, and(99.9% of the time, you have no idea of what you are talking about). You might not want to be label a racist, but you seem to share the same mental mindset as one

Quote(The heart of the matter is that the British press has created the idea of a “multicultural society” because of a handful of skeletons living in an environment made by thousands of people.)

I know it’s hard for you to accept, that those people at that museum, may actually know more than you do. You say a handful of skeletons, but what you’re missing, is that those remains aren’t supposed to be there in the first place. The old teachings, say only white people were ever in England.. They also founded Chinese remains there.

Quote(Also the DNA from these new finds leads mostly to North Africa or other Roman provinces so that is not a big deal.)

If it wasn’t a big deal, you wouldn’t have tried to oppose it. Also the North Africa of today is much different than the one in the past. The Greeks and Romans dealt with North African Blacks, that’s just a fact. Greeks and Romans were very familiar with the black people in their society, lots historical evidence shows this , whether you want to accept it or not

neiltennant November 6, 2015 at 2:39 am

update update update update

So many newspapers reported that he hired tons of people to research his ethnic background..

all over the years he was confronted with the question if he has some african genes.

Now he has enough and will research his background….

andrew October 22, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Tom Jones: I Haven’t Taken Black Ancestry DNA

Kekit October 17, 2015 at 3:03 am

welsh are darker than other people of the British Isles because they have more Roman ancestry and also the Romans would recruit mercenaries from other parts of the world (especially North Africa and the Middle East) and lots of them were stationed in Wales, IIRC.

Angles and Saxons didn’t have much of a genetic impact on Wales like it did Northern England.

darkest Welsh person I’ve ever seen is this Welsh boxer Lee Selby (he’s the current featherweight champion) and he looks Arab , yet he is fully Welsh to my knowledge.

gel October 17, 2015 at 3:38 am

You have to remember that industrial areas of Wales had influx of people from all over Britain and further afield – including colored people.

andrew October 17, 2015 at 7:36 am

@ kekit

Tom Jones is just 1/4 or more likely 1/8 Welsh. Most of his ancestry is English.

Rekta February 13, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Lee Selby look like a North African (Moor or Berber).

neiltennant August 4, 2015 at 6:54 pm

he is darker than JAMES EARL JONES and GARLAND JEFFRIES both of african descent and I’m not sure but there could have been a secret in their family

Alice August 4, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Tom Jones is just European. He is mostly English with some Welsh. His features just look European. Look at him when he was younger. People exaggerate the exoticness of Tom Jones.

neiltennant August 5, 2015 at 8:44 am

thank you for the pics great pics i did not known before

im not sure how accurate pics of young age could be

because there are people like mariah carey (half or quarter black) or martin gore (half black) who looked from the point of race different as young kids but as adults not so many like childhood

young mariah carey at age of 5 looked half and half mixed but later when she was 20 she looked full caucasian

MARTIN GORE of DEPECHE MODE was a very blonde and white boy from next day but older he gets more dark he is

and really there are many celebs in britain who are mixed nigeian and english and a few of them look like younger TOM JONES

Rekta April 12, 2015 at 7:26 am

about 3000 years ago, the indigenous peoples of the british isles look like him : swarthy faces and dark curly hair. the ancient welsh were not celts but iberians who were celtized.

neiltennant August 25, 2016 at 12:47 pm

come on 3000 years ago

that is past and long ago

years ago our ancestors came from AFRICA and that does not mean that if my son would have dark skin i would take the argument of YEARS AGO

ridiculous

Capricious April 4, 2015 at 3:04 am

He is very tanned in this pic. And just because his hair is curly doesn’t mean his black, you dumb idiots.

He is Welsh. If anything, he could have Spanish in him. But that’s the farthest.

longhaired thick lightskinned gyal December 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I always thought this nigga was mixed with black, he sure looks it. His mama lied to his ass.

Capricious April 4, 2015 at 3:02 am

^LOOOOL!

M June 14, 2015 at 8:52 pm

He does look black.

roman2886 October 17, 2014 at 4:09 pm

He might have some Italian Britain the Romans had been in Britain for nearly 400 years the Romans intermarried with the Celtic Britons there is Italian blood in the British genepool.

victoria May 1, 2013 at 3:52 am

He is Welse and English and he looks it he does not look bloody black or arabic!

WTF August 17, 2014 at 5:20 am

hell yes he does. i thought he was mulatto when i first saw him. he definitely has black features!!!!!

Alice October 6, 2014 at 12:00 am

Americans think that all countries are like them. It is not likely that Tom Jones has any black or Arab blood.

Alice October 6, 2014 at 12:01 am

Especially if his family are long term British. If he had any traceable Arab of African features that would point to recent ancestry and we know that’s not the case here.

fuzzybear44 October 6, 2014 at 3:02 am

@Alice

I don’t know what’s in tom bloodline,but I wouldn’t dismiss anything.Until he takes a blood test,all this is just opinion.

(Americans think that all countries are like them)

Well truthfully pretty much every country is like America.All the Fornication and things like that,went down in the old world long before it hit the new,and then continued up til now.Everywhere black people have gone,they’ve added to the population(Francis Barber)is example of this,all his descendants are white brits.During slave time in Britain,poor whites often sheltered and produced children with blacks who ran away from their masters.Creoles of color moved to France and England.The men did their thing,and the women who they didn’t marry,were often mistresses.Lots of fornicating during the jazz era.Also if england hadn’t had it’s own brown baby project in the 50’s,there would be a lot more Half blood grandparents walking around there today.Don’t get me wrong,there were lots of problems(often depending what side of the bed white people woke up on),but still things went down.

Alice October 6, 2014 at 4:33 am

@fuzzybear44 most Europeans don’t have any recent African ancestry and on dna tests it doesn’t show up. Southern European people show some small amounts of North African but for someone from the British Isles it’s just not there. It’s just a red herring to say Tom Jones has African ancestry. His compatriot Shirley Bassey has African ancestry and this is recent but Tom Jones has no known African ancestry.

fuzzybear44 October 6, 2014 at 6:10 am

@alice

I don’t think most Europeans have taken DNA test.I’ve only seen small sample group,and On the results people I debate against love to show me,it’s popping up positive for somebody.I’m always seeing Europeans shocked at their results.Also I’ve put people from the england before when i was debating andrew, who tested positive.However i can’t remember their names.Now some may not show recent ancestry,which is why I choose Francis Barber.His descendants may not show recent blood %,but The fact is that he is still the great grand whatever to these white brits living in Lichfield.I would be surprised that people who knew they had black ancestry would take a blood test.I mean people like Fredrik Reinfeldt here:
He didn’t scream out yes I’m part black,give me a DNA test.Neither did Alessandra Meyer-Wölden:
but she is

Alice October 6, 2014 at 6:44 am

There has been loads of dna tests done on European populations. There is constant studies of populations by dna especially in regards to disease and inheritable conditions and of course dna for ancestry purposes is becoming hugely popular now.

In crimes now they can even tell what race the perpetrator is. It is well known through archaeology and history as well as dna studies what makes up populations especially the British Isles.

I’ve even had my dna done as well as other family members. I’ve been looking at the British Isles and especially Irish dna results for years. I know the subject pretty well.

Alice October 6, 2014 at 6:51 am

I’m sure you can have a individual with rare results but they are outliers. Any population geneticist would look at large amounts of people with know ancestry going back at least 4 generations. These results would have to show up consistently across the board not just in an individual. Some European populations like Southern Europeans do show MENA results in the dna and Finnish would have a small amount of Siberian like dna so it’s not like there is some conspiracy to hide this sort of thing.

christian March 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm

as he is of irish descent he might have some egyptian or arabian blood in his veins

britain and ireland were in contact with mediterranian countries for years

he is caucasian but arabs are caucasians too

andrew April 21, 2013 at 5:59 am

actually he is not of Irish descent

victoria May 1, 2013 at 3:54 am

exactly the guy dosen’t know what he’s talking about lol

victoria May 1, 2013 at 3:51 am

What a load of poop he goes on the sun bed a lot he is none for that he is not arabic or black his is white he is english and welse that’s it!

fuzzybear44 May 1, 2013 at 4:25 am

@victoria

You do know,that you could be part whatever,and not look it.He’s obviously white,no one is denying that,however saying he’s english means nothing.England in the past,is just like it is today.Black people were all up in there, intermarrying(or just getting their sex on) with whites,and producing children.Now as I said before,I’m not saying he does have it,just that it’s possible.

victoria May 1, 2013 at 3:53 am

Arabs are not caucasians and Egypt is a arabic country :/ i don’t think you read what you wrote!

fuzzybear44 May 1, 2013 at 4:33 am

@victoria

(Arabs are not Caucasians)

Well I agree on this one.I don’t know why they are all called that,seeing how there are different types of arabs in the Middle East.Although I recently saw a video of a black arab,who in this country,was told he was consider white because he was arab,so who knows.

victoria May 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm
Adam December 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Arab is not it’s own distinct race, there are a lot of mixed Arabs and there are many Caucasian Arabs.

monica February 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm

he looks at least 1/4 black to me :/

betty boo April 21, 2013 at 12:26 am

@monica -true true true. He is like a black man with white skin.

fuzzybear44 April 21, 2013 at 3:22 am

He very well could be,not that I’m saying he is.As quiet as it”s kept,there was a whole lot blk/white mixing going in the past

nnnnn April 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Surely, he’s “a bit” black. But it’s his right – don’t speak
about his heritage.

andrew April 21, 2013 at 3:12 pm
fuzzybear44 April 22, 2013 at 2:45 am

@andrew

(when he was born there weren’t non-european ppl in the UK. )

It’s obvious you made effort to do, any research on this subject what so ever.If you had,you wouldn’t have made that false statement

fuzzybear44 April 22, 2013 at 5:54 am

meant to say,(made no effort)

andrew April 22, 2013 at 6:48 am
fuzzybear44 April 22, 2013 at 8:17 am

@andrew

What does pics of tom jones have to do with,this part of your comment?

(when he was born there weren’t non-european ppl in the UK. )

Black people being in england or uk in that time period, is what I’m referring to.If you had took the time to check,you would have seen that there were lots of black people at that time(Len Johnson) for example(just one of many).Also showing pics of his parent,doesn’t prove no black ancestry.Look at some of the other celebs on this site,who are known to be part black.Do you have any idea how many white in england have black ancestry.It was very common for poor black and white to marry in the past.All this stuff could be found pretty else

P.S
If you look back at my first comment,you’ll see I said could be,not was

victoria May 1, 2013 at 3:56 am

I agree with you i have dark hair eyes and white olive skin i’am half British and Irish i’am not mixed cos people back in them days just stuck with europeens but i always get spanish Itlaian Russian etc.. but i’m not lol

andrew April 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm
fuzzybear44 May 1, 2013 at 4:36 am

@victoria

( i’am not mixed cos people back in them days just stuck with Europeans)

That is complete nonsense.I don’t why you people feel the need to keep telling yourselves that,when it’s not true.

fuzzybear44 May 1, 2013 at 4:40 am

@victoria

I’m not saying your mixed,just the Europeans only having sex with other white Europeans part.

victoria May 1, 2013 at 3:51 am

no he dosen’t!

WTF August 17, 2014 at 5:21 am

HE DOES! THIS NIGGA DEFINITELY AIN’T WHITE.

roman2886 October 17, 2014 at 4:03 pm

He looks mulatto I’m sure some mulattoes look like him.

John L. Williams March 4, 2011 at 8:05 pm

The song was written by Curly Putman a US country ” scribe ” & made famous by Porter Wagoner ) a FAMOUS US country singer!!!!
I’m Welsh but ……….. give me a break!
A quick listen will tell you it’s all about death!

Previous post: