Tisha Campbell-Martin

by ethnic on August 5, 2009

Birth Name: Tisha Michelle Campbell

Place of Birth: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.

Date of Birth: October 13, 1968

Ethnicity: African-American

Tisha Campbell-Martin is an American television and film actress, and singer. She is African-American. Tisha is married to actor and real estate agent Duane Martin.

Photo by Prphotos

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

WTF November 10, 2014 at 4:58 am
midori29 August 30, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Not mixed take away the lighter skin and Tisha Campbell looks heavy West African featured she really has nothing on her that indicated mixed. She actually reminds me of that 100 percent black African Nigerian actress named Monalisa Chinda

Nunya Buzinuss April 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Actually, African American DOES mean black for all of the people out there. AFRICAN=BLACK
Just because Tisha Campbell Martin doesn;t LOOK black doesn;t mean she’s not.

christian March 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm

what ????

absolutely false !!

she is not only african american

in the show she has the role of the mother they are talking about her eye color and this is considered as grey

and in lemonade mouth she has also light eyes

the shape of her face is not african american but mixed

she is part white part black

look March 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm

African American does Not mean black.It’s a cultural heritage,we have no fixed(color,facial features,hair etc).We do however unlike others take more pride in our African heritage.The avg African American has a mixed bloodline,we don’t deny it.So you will have those who are lighter and those who are darker.In our families,members been different colors is nothing new,so a family member like Tisha wouldn’t be seen as any different.

Lisette December 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

You probably don’t know what “Only african-American looks like saying that you are not AA. We come in all shades, my brother is lighter than her and I dare you to tell me he’s no AA. Everytime I come on this site theirs people hating saying “oh she’s not black she’s too light” you obviously no little about us, the proof is in your face and you still have your doubts. We come in all shades and if you were black you would no that you can’t speak for someone else. You all just want us to be 1shade or ugly but the fact is we are unique and beautiful that’s what makes us special =)

Olei June 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

I get what you’re saying. But “look” pretty much summed it up. YET, you’re right, technically, Tisha is substantially White and Black, genetically. I don’t know anything about what cultures (African, Native American, American, Black American, etc.) she ascribes to.

Sure, it is confusing to have a label that represents a single racial group, when within that label, people are actually a mix of different ethnic/racial groups and different cultures.

It was explained that “African American” was coined in the 1970s in efforts to reclaim a link to African identity. (And acknowledging Native American ancestry (among White people) was becoming more popular too.) Before that, the term “Black” was used, in terms of how people self-identified on average. Without having direct ties to Africa (via language, culture, tribes, etc.), it doesn’t make sense to me to use that in a label.

“African” almost always makes people think of sub-Saharan African, but people can be all different racial groups on the continent. I had an African friend who was Tunisian; you can just imagine all the eye-rolling conversations he got into for openly calling himself African. He looked like many other Tunisians, with pale skin, green eyes, wavy dark hair, long nose.

I prefer MGM to any terms to describe people who are a substantial mixture of different races, including Black, yet aren’t biracial (from parents of 2 diff. races). It’s just more accurate than African American and it’s an easy acronym; MGM! Like, my mom is 90% sub-Saharan African, so I would say that she’s Black. But someone like Tisha Campbell is more like an MGM.

It’s a crap shoot which half of the DNA that you get from each parent, and since “Black” (my preferred term) Americans have an average of 5%-30% European DNA, it wouldn’t be unheard of for some siblings to come out with more European features than others. Like with Kidada and Rashida Jones, I’d bet that Kidada has more sub-Saharan African DNA than Rashida.

Since the Black Slaves in the U.S. mostly came from West Africa, you can see the features that many West Africans have and see that in Black Americans. However, East Africans like the Ethiopians and Somalians, have different body types, skin hues (even though many are brown), features, hair textures, etc. than the West Africans. Had slaves only come from there, then Black Americans and MGMs would look totally different. It’s the East Africans who first left Africa eventually gave rise to all the various racial groups after undergoing various mutations.

neiltennant May 18, 2017 at 7:33 am

sorry for my bad english

im not african american im CAUCASIAN with some asian roots

african american here is WRONG

there must be written

AFRICAN AMERICAN, possible other

because we all know that people from africa do not look like her

andrew May 18, 2017 at 12:07 pm

If you’re caucasian with some Asian roots you can’t give lessons about “whiteness”.

follers May 18, 2017 at 12:23 pm

The term “African-American” by definition means “African, likely other”.

fuzzybear44 May 20, 2017 at 12:14 am

@neiltennant

I don’t get, how is it that others can understand that African American is just a cultural name, but you can’t. I prefer this new name over being called Negro. If you want to call Tisha Campbell (African American plus other), you might as well call all the black people in the U.S. the same thing. Because no matter what our skintone shows, almost all of us have European bloodlines as well as others

P.S.

To tell the truth, you guys calling yourselves CAUCASIAN is wrong. Caucasian doesn’t mean white, it’s a bone structure . That is not exclusive to white Europeans. even black Africans have that bone structure

bablah May 20, 2017 at 5:08 am

To be fair to neiltennant he didn’t imply caucasian means Europian, since he’s Afghan, and that’s in Asia.
I’m still not sure if he’s a troll or just really dumb.

MOreKnowledge March 3, 2012 at 8:30 am

Actually Most african Americans are GENERATIONALLY mixed with something else we all dont have pure Black African blood just because we call ourselves AFRICAN-American and There are also many mixed race Africans as well. My grand parents are halfcherokee both of them are. So that means i have native american descent as well. And it might be a little ignorant of myself to say this but truth is a light-skinned African-American might have significant ancestry other than black africans. It would be ignorant to put mixed ancestry past african americans for the simple fact that we look a certain way or identify as black

Chanel February 5, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Not all light complexion people are mixed. So don’t assume that they are.

Loveshowers February 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Yes , she’s probably mixed. African Americans r not mixed w/ Native Americans most of the x. We (Natives) mostly & 2 this dat mainly reside on rez , so we were not allowed 2 leave the rez w/o written permission / escort by a BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs ) wrkr . i can’t recall the name @ this x. Of course a few did mix esp when they attended the same sch . My grandma had children by an Indian who left the rez (reservation ) which r gov’t controlled. She’s cute.

MOreKnowledge March 3, 2012 at 8:35 am

Actually its the complete opposite almost 85% of the African American population can trace atleast one Native American ancestor in their family history especially those of us who live on the eastern and midwestern side of America

lala January 18, 2012 at 9:13 am

I have seen her BIO on the Biography channel, both her parents are African American.

Jay may November 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

I don’t thinks she’s mixed but does it matter? There are many light-skinned black people that aren’t bi-racial. Some of my bros and sisters are light and I’m not; yet, we have the same parents. It’s just a phenotype.

Ray March 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm

She’s a beautiful lady who care about her race we all bleed the same

cora l February 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

it blew me away to find out that [actor]martin lawrence is german.

folusha November 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm

her skin color has nothing to do with her roots

MR August 3, 2010 at 9:18 am

I really don’t think that she is just african american she looks mixed and I really think she is . Maybe white and black or something else….

selvy August 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Like many African Americans she probably has Caucasian and Native American heritage which goes way back.

fuzzybear August 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm

To MR

african american can mean a lot of ethnicities rolled in one name

moi August 4, 2010 at 8:11 am

that term is used incorrectly 99.9% of the time

moi August 3, 2010 at 3:34 am

she must be mixed coz she is very pale

but she does have black facial features

marshh August 2, 2010 at 5:35 pm

as yellow as she is thats all u have to say

Previous post: