The Weeknd

"Amy" Los Angeles Premiere - Arrivals

Birth Name: Abel Makkonen Tesfaye

Place of Birth: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date of Birth: February 16, 1990

Ethnicity: Ethiopian

The Weeknd is a Canadian R&B singer, songwriter, and record producer. He grew up listening to soul, quiet storm, hip hop, funk, indie rock, and post-punk.

His parents, Makkonen and Samra, are Ethiopian. He is fluent in Amharic, a Semitic language spoken in Ethiopia. Growing up, he attended services at an Ethiopian Orthodox church.

Photo by Prphotos.com

1. neiltennant says:

despite his color of his skin which is not the darkest, he has some caucasian features

he could pass for a mixed ethnicity guy

• midori29 says:

I see absolutely NO Caucasian features on this man and he is not even that light skinned. Look at his hair its fully black African. This man has kinkier hair than myself and I do not consider my self mixed.

• neiltennant says:

ok but HAIR is not accurate to say something about ethnicity

i am pale like a sheet of bed but have black hair

my sister is pale, has curly brown hair

• midori29 says:

@Neiltenant his hair is super tight and super kinky. Skin tone has been noted to be the LEAST and last determinant of racial admixture, therefore HAIR texture is more of an indicator of admixture. There are 100% Africans all over the continent with his skin tone which is NOT that light. He is barely light skinned. All Africans are not dark skinned. Also many dark skinned blacks with wavy curly hair are MORE mixed than lighter blacks with kinky hair. Trust me I am from a mixed country. You cannot say because a black person is lighter skinned that they are mixed. Not accurate at all.

2. Gurrl says:

Looks west African instead of the typical Ethiopian look.

• Capricious says:

West Africans look like Akon. They look stereotypically dark Africans.

This guy looks very Ethiopian. Slightly lighter and rather Arabic looking.

• midori29 says:

I think he looks West African too, not a single curl pattern to his hair, its fully Afro textured. Even though there are West Africans with loose kinky curly hair

West African black Tauregs

3. lelo4 says:

Ethiopians are genetically half black African half caucasian/middle eastern

4. M says:

Btw, this guy looks way older than his age. I thought he was in his 30s.

5. ihatemostpeople says:

Wow I had no idea he was Ethiopian. I thought he was biracial (black and white). He looks mixed.