Sean Paul

by ethnic on December 29, 2007

Birth Name: Sean Paul Henriques

Place of Birth: Kingston, Jamaica

Date of Birth: 9 January, 1973

Ethnicity: Sephardi Jewish (paternal great-grandfather), African-Jamaican, German, English, Chinese

Sean Paul is a Jamaican recording artist, dancehall rapper, singer, record producer, and actor. His paternal great-grandfather was a Sephardi Jew (whose family was from Portugal, as well as more distantly from the Netherlands, Germany, Serbia, and France). His other ancestry includes Afro-Jamaican, German, English, and Chinese. Sean was raised Catholic.

Sean is married to Jamaican television host Jodi Stewart, with whom he has a son.

Sean’s paternal grandfather was Ronald Barrington Henriques (the son of Nathaniel Morais Henriques and Isabel/Isabelle Viola/Violet Eisner). Nathaniel was born in Kingston, to Sephardi Jewish parents, Isaac Cohen Henriques and Hannah Vaz. Isabel was the daughter of Carl August/Augustus Eisener/Eisner and Medora Jane Tomlinson, who had German, English, and likely Afro-Jamaican, ancestry.

Sean’s paternal grandmother was Marjorie Teresa Corbett (the daughter of Alfred Clarence Leonard Corbett and Ianthe Isabel Bawn). Marjorie was of Afro-Jamaican background. Alfred was the son of James Corbett and Mary E. Ianthe was the daughter of James Bawn.

Sources: http://www.ynet.co.il

Genealogy of Sean Paul (focusing on his father’s side) – http://www.geni.com

photo by Adam J. Sablich / Shutterstock.com

{ 49 comments… read them below or add one }

madman June 28, 2016 at 6:19 am

Birth Name: Sean Paul Ryan Francis Henriques (according to Wikipedia)

Some of Sean’s Jewish ancestors were from the Netherlands, Germany, Serbia, and France, accordin to geni.com, though their surnames would still indicates Sephardi Jewish ancestry. Also, is it confirmed that Sean’s great-grandmother, Isabel Viola Eisner, wasn’t also Jewish, since Sean talks about his Jewish grandfather in the article linked?

It should be specifically mentioned that his maternal grandmother was of Chinese descent. Some sources states that Sean’s mother was of English and Chinese descent (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/sean-paul-uptown-top-ranking-309597.html), evidently from a quote from Sean himself that I can’t find the original source for:

“My grandmother on my mother’s side was born in Coventry, England, but the rest of my grandparents were Jamaican in origin. My mother’s father, however, is Chinese and my father’s father is from Portuguese descent. My grandmother on my father’s side is mixed with black and white.”

follers June 28, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I don’t know if that birth name is accurate.

From what I can find, Isabel Eisner wasn’t Jewish, and of course her mother’s maiden name was “Tomlinson”. Maybe she converted to Judaism. Or maybe Paul just used shorthand. Medora Tomlinson’s father was named Richard Letters Tomlinson or Richard Jethro Tomlinson.

As for the quote, it was added to Wikipedia in June 2006 (here – https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sean_Paul&diff=prev&oldid=58106931). Whether it’s legitimate is hard to say. Perhaps the adder just made it up.

andrew July 17, 2017 at 6:01 am

how do you know Sean’s paternal grandmother was of Afro-Jamaican background?

follers July 17, 2017 at 10:47 am

Madman’s quote says so.

malabo girl October 29, 2015 at 5:46 pm

looks like 5% only black

midori29 September 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm

@Malabo girl he is a lot more than 5% black. He looks like my uncle. I would say the black is 40%.

andrew September 22, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Very hard to say, but his SSA component is clearly anywhere near 40%.
This is his father (unfortunately there aren’t pictures of Sean’s mom on the web):

midori29 December 21, 2016 at 9:45 am

@Andrew his dad looks about half black , okay well about 25% or 1/4th black

Samiiraa July 6, 2017 at 1:17 pm

midori29 you are trully a self hating black person. His father does not look half black. Half black is Obama. His father looks not more that 20% black. Sean is probably 20% or 30%, not more.

Capricious October 8, 2015 at 6:30 am

He’s cute. He did have a Sephardic/Semitic look to him.

Chinese? That must be his great-great-great-great-great-great single grandparent. I don’t see any Chinese in him.

andrew September 22, 2016 at 4:55 pm
midori29 September 7, 2015 at 10:09 am

Sean Paul has the same mixture as Miss Jamaica recent Kaci Fenell, who describes herself as a light skinned black woman. Link

neiltennant July 17, 2015 at 11:10 am

expect the unexpected when it comes about jewish roots :-)

like BRUNO MARS he is one of those nobody had expected he could have jewish roots

cwm85 September 7, 2015 at 4:56 pm

If you look at his Dad you can see where his roots come from. That’s why parents heritage is important you know because not every person will look what you guest they are.

WestIndiangrl May 10, 2015 at 4:06 pm

he is 10% jamaican Get your information right he is chinese jamaican,black jamaica & white jamaican his family has been in jamaica for over 300 years JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHERS ! v_v

Capricious May 7, 2015 at 9:05 pm

He’s sexy.

ShawntheGod September 9, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Looks like a quadroon.

tinasheeeee June 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I’ve always thought he was Jamaican & Puerto Rican since I was younger.

ihatemostpeople May 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I don’t really see the Chinese in him, but I wouldn’t doubt his Chinese ancestry. A lot of people don’t know this, but Jamaica is comprised of many different ethnic groups. There are Chinese Jamaicans and Indian Jamaicans. Most people think Jamaicans are just plain black. Yes, black Jamaicans are the majority, but there are a lot of non-black Jamaicans. AND the so-called black Jamaicans that live there could even be mixed with Chinese and Indian. Naomi Campbell and Tyson Beckford have Chinese ancestry. One wouldn’t think that by looking at them. I had a friend who had a Jamaican father and a French mother. When I first met her I thought she had some Asian in her, and sure enough she did from her father’s side. The funny thing is her dad looks predominantly black, but his mom was half Chinese and half black Jamaican. His daughter looks more Asian than him.

Marc January 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

He have caribeen, chinesse and portuguese descent. Henriques is portuguese family name.

candy November 12, 2011 at 10:13 am

yes he can be hispanic because latin and hispanic are a mixture of races like black ,indian and white and we all have a mixed of this some more than other not many pure bloods any moore

j December 23, 2011 at 12:57 am

Its sort of a yes and no thing
Yes- Most Hispanic people are mixed but
No- being Hispanic is more of a cultural matter and in this case he’s Jamaican

janet December 23, 2011 at 10:46 am

latin is not a race. you’re right about the last part though. latins are a mixture of black, native american and white(usually portuguese or spanish)

Intoksikation21 July 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

his name is in Portuguese so as far of what you have to know is that Spanish and Portuguese are alike languages.

liyah June 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm

wow i didn’t think he had black in him i thought he had portuguese and chinese really

midori29 September 7, 2015 at 10:03 am

You must not have seen alot of black admixtures because I definitely see the black in him. He looks likey uncle for real, who is Portuguese, black and Indian too. I guess people just dont know. If he was just white and Chinese only he would look like Keanu Reeves . Alot less tanned even.

Anonymous June 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm

So what does he identify as? Just mixed…….or multiracial? Does anyone know? Wow when you look at Sean paul you start to automatically think “What is he racially?” because you just can’t tell. I think he could pass for hispanic,or biracial( just half black half white.) Some people don’t consider the portugese white. This race stuff is complicated so don’t attack me for my opinion.

Anon June 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Why not,you attack everyone else,Jasmine

midori29 September 7, 2015 at 10:07 am

Yes in the Carribean portuguese people were NOT considered white by the British because of thier African moor admixture in higher percentages than the rest of Europe. Many could pass for light skinned American half black half white biracials. Sean Paul considers himself Jamaican. And im sure the Jamaicans treat him as any other black Jamaican.

Anonymous September 3, 2010 at 8:52 am

i luv luv luv jamaican men but he is fugly i like his music tho

princess August 13, 2010 at 11:33 am

to all you haters who says he is ugly yall mom and u is uglier by the way y yall hatin because he is jamaican did u get ur ass whooped from a jamaican because thats the most popular reason for americaating jamaicans.

midori29 June 28, 2016 at 8:04 am

@Princess, I saw him in concert. Sean Paul looks better in pics, his head is unusually wide, in a strange way. he is not so fine in person.

total23 June 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Ethnic, His Mother Is Of English And Chinese Descent.
His Father Is Of Afro Caribbean And Portuguese Descent.

quioe March 9, 2010 at 2:42 am

he look half indian, not native but from india

m0mo November 14, 2009 at 2:31 pm

sean paul is sexy yall hatin

shaye October 11, 2009 at 8:00 am

rite i don’t know what yall talkin’ bout neither…sean paul is fine as hell and his accent is such a turn on

lilmadiva23 August 12, 2009 at 8:00 am

sean pual is fine i dont wat yall talkin about

ethnic August 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I think Beyonce had a little thing for him.

Malia May 22, 2009 at 10:17 am

I don’t know who he is, but he sure is ugly!

princess August 13, 2010 at 11:34 am

yuh mama is ugly

Anonymous September 3, 2010 at 9:02 am
lala January 6, 2009 at 5:35 am

His mom is Afro-Jamaican.
Ehhhhhhh, who cares right?
Next!

princess August 13, 2010 at 11:36 am

i know wats ur case you got ur ass whooped by a jamaican im sorry next time dont provoke them ok

~AMEYO~ December 6, 2008 at 2:09 pm

SEAN PAUL IS UGLY I HATE HIM AND HIS MUSIC

\

princess August 13, 2010 at 11:37 am

and i think he hates u too

Maria. August 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t care.

Tiffany October 17, 2011 at 11:50 am

@ Ameyo…say WHAT??? Sean Paul is not ugly!!! He is very attractive.

OLIVIA November 12, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Does he have an older bother? not that he’s not cute but I like them older.

Anonymous September 3, 2010 at 9:03 am