Ryan Reynolds

by Wendy on August 1, 2014

Birth Name: Ryan Rodney Reynolds

Place of Birth: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Date of Birth: October 23, 1976

Ethnicity: Irish

Ryan Reynolds is a Canadian actor and producer. He is known for his roles in the films National Lampoon’s Van Wilder, Waiting…, Definitely, Maybe, Adventureland, and The Proposal, and for playing Wade Wilson/Deadpool in the films X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Deadpool.

Ryan was selected People Magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive” in 2010. He is thus far the only Canadian-born man to have been given this title by the magazine.

Ryan is the son of Tammy and James Chester Reynolds. He has Irish ancestry, and was raised Catholic.

Ryan is married to American actress Blake Lively, with whom he has two children.

Ryan’s paternal grandparents were Ches Reynolds and Helen Mary Long (the daughter of Thomas Long and Katherine).

Sources: Obituary of Ryan’s paternal grandmother, Helen Mary (Long) Reynolds – http://www.legacy.com

Genealogy of Ryan Reynolds (focusing on his father’s side) [possibly incorrect] – https://www.geni.com

photo by s_bukley / Shutterstock.com

{ 37 comments… read them below or add one }

romanticcelt February 14, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I’m surprised he isn’t part Uzbek. He has a real Uzbek appearance about him.

andrew February 13, 2016 at 1:45 am
neiltennant August 13, 2015 at 12:20 pm

yes bla bla bla but there is still something special about him

i like him and he is rather handsome+ sexy

with that face he could be also turkish or native american

i remember watching 15 when i was a small child and everybody thought that he might be native canadian or native american

Capricious October 10, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Definitely Turkish looking yes, but I doubt it since there aren’t much Turks in the USA, let alone famous ones.

He is more Jewish looking than Irish/Celtic. Same thing Ben Affleck. They could have Jewish ancestry.

neiltennant August 7, 2015 at 7:48 am

his eyes are quite dark

andrew August 7, 2015 at 7:07 pm

he has brown eyes, what a big deal for a person of European descent.

cwm85 July 30, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Surprised he’s just Irish… would have thought German, Austrian, Swedish too.

andrew August 7, 2015 at 7:09 pm

“It is not clear if he is of entirely or partially Irish descent.”

theropod March 31, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Dark hair, dark eyes, full lips and yet he’s Irish…who usually are extremely pale and light featured?

I would’ve thought that he is Welsh or someone with Italian/Jewish ancestry…

A user April 11, 2015 at 6:25 am

Anyone of any ethnicity could be dark haired and eyed. Josh hartnett is half scandinavian,german and irish, yet he is dark haired and eyed. Collin farrel is also irish but he has dark hair and dark eyes.

vasinger April 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Do you know that most Irish people actually have dark hair? Most Irish have dark hair and pale skin with light eyes or sometimes hazel eyes. Some Jews have blonde hair or even redheads. King David was a redhead.

gel April 17, 2015 at 7:23 am

No, he looks Irish – but the eyes are usually blue.

jjoeshaw June 14, 2015 at 2:11 pm

There are many Irish people who practically look hispanic. Some people called them the ‘black Irish’ and argue that there’s a connection very far back but idk if it holds any weight.

gel July 30, 2015 at 5:17 pm

No they don’t. Invented.

guyinsf May 24, 2018 at 1:02 am

Black Irish just means an Irish person with very dark hair, sometimes jet black hair. It doesn’t mean they have southern features to look hispanic. Black Irish still looks European.

roman2886 December 30, 2014 at 3:09 am

I have a similar ethnic background too him I’m of mostly English Irish Scottish Welsh and Filipino but I don’t look like either of those ethnicities i look Italian there is defiantly Italian in my blood otherwise no one would think im Italian if i didn’t have Italian blood I look like a Italian Spanish mix I defiantly both have Italian and Spanish blood if I go out in the sun in the summer my skin tans it goes dark olive sometimes brown if i stayed long enough my nan was of Austrian and German blood when she was younger she looked Italian she looked more German as she got older peoples facial features change as they get older when I was younger like a teenager my face was rounder and my chin was large every thought I was Welsh but as I gof older I looked more Southern European Italian looking Im more Italian looking now.

Alice December 30, 2014 at 8:59 pm

You’ve got to be trolling? :)

roman2886 March 31, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I am not trolling.

Tux July 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm

In my opinion, Dark Irish people almost never look Italian. Maybe they look pseudo Italian but idunno actual Italians/Iberians look a lot different and better than Dark Irish. The Latins have more gracile harmonious features. Better complexions too while dark Irish usually still have that really pale easily burned type I skin

roman2886 December 29, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Ryan Reynolds looks very Irish he has a face of a Irish person he doesn’t look English Scottish or Welsh there is a difference between the 4 ethnicities when they are not mixed together.

The.geneal.guy December 9, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Roman 2886 – You talk a load of nonsense! The Irish are as ‘mongrel’ as you put it as the English, Welsh and Scots!! His features could blend in anywhere in the British Isles as all four nations including Ireland have been invaded many many times. Also Reynolds is both an Englisah and Irish surname. You say you do not like the ethnicities that you comprise of – a bit of self-hate going on there my friend!!!

roman2886 December 12, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Sorry I didn’t mean too say i dont like English Irish Scottish Welsh and Filipino I don’t have against them I’m mixture of all those 5 ethnicities but I don’t look like either of those ethnicities I have olive skin Black hair and Brown eyes I look Southern European like Italian and Spanish but defiantly not Portuguese or Greek Some Irish people have Black hair Brown eyes and Olive skin hence the term Black Irish.

gel April 17, 2015 at 7:13 am

Your use of “British” Isles betrays your politics.

No, the Irish aren’t mongrels like the English are.

gel August 13, 2015 at 11:54 am
roman2886 November 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm

He looks very Irish he doesnt look English Scottish and Welsh he would fit in Ireland he would standout in England Scotland and Wales he doesnt pass for anything other than Irish i would think he is Irish if saw him in the UK in person i wouldnt think he is English Scottish and Welsh its common in England for people too have 2 ethnicities English and Irish but its very common for people in England too all 4 ethnicities English Irish Scottish and Welsh most English people are Mongrels the majority of English people are British Mongrels that means they all 4 ethnicities English Irish Scottish and Welsh but there is still English people out there who are full blooded English 100% English i have all 4 ethnicities English Irish Scottish and Welsh along with Filipino im a British Filipino Mongrel not a British Mongrel im not a full blooded British Mongrel im mostly of English Irish Scottish Welsh and Filipino ancestry but dont like either of those ethnicities i look like Southern European like Italian so there is defiantly Italian ancestry in me i have other ethnicities

roman2886 November 27, 2014 at 10:01 am

He looks as Irish as much as Ben Affleck looks Scottish Ryan Reynolds is not pure Irish he is mixed with English it is very common in Canada and America for people too have both Irish and English ancestry Ben Affleck is not pure Scottish he is mixed with Irish English and German I have Irish ancestry but I’m not pure Irish I’m mixed English Scottish Welsh and Filipino I’m mostly of English Irish Scottish Welsh and Filipino I have other ethnicities running through my veins I have 13 my dad had 7 my mum has 6 Ben Affleck has 4 ethnicities Ryan Reynolds only has 2 ethnicities he is primarily of English and Irish ancestry Ben Affleck is of English Irish Scottish and German ancestry Ryan Reynolds has no ancestry outside England and Ireland.

roman2886 November 6, 2014 at 1:32 am

He looks very Irish he doesn’t look English at all if saw Ryan Reynolds in person you would think he is Irish not English even he has English blood he doesn’t pass for anything other than Irish he doesn’t look mixed English and Irish he looks 1/4 Irish but he could be 1/4 English 1/4 Irish he is 3rd generation Irish descent most Irish Americans are 3rd generation the ones who are full blooded Irish and half Irish are 1st generation and 2nd generation Irish Americans who are 4th generation 5th generation and 6th generation are mixed with anything other than Irish they have other European ethnicities.

J.J. November 18, 2013 at 10:47 pm

correction; his eyes are forest green (green w brown) and his hair is light brown (brunet)

Dianne April 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Blake is very lucky to have this guy…good on yahh ryan..

and i am quarter european and i have chocolate eyes and its pretty special for me to be european..so ummm yeah im proud to be european

christian March 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm

he looks very irish, true but he has those brown eyes

brown eyes are nothing special in europe

but the shape of his eyes are special

hmmm difficult

theropod March 31, 2015 at 11:46 pm

In Southern Europe brown eyes may not be special.

But in Northern Europe I think they would be since nearly everyone there has blue/green eyes…

Anya March 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm

He actually looks really Irish.

Maria February 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

So sexy i did not know he was Irish looks a bit like Colin Farrell now i think of it.

LMFAO Too September 22, 2011 at 9:05 am

Please…he’s so bland and mediocre-looking.

Evelyn August 14, 2011 at 8:55 am

He’s just that hot!

cool March 14, 2012 at 6:52 pm

HATE THIS GUY

HE CANT ACT

Jessica Garcia-De Rivera June 16, 2011 at 12:12 am

He is the hottest man alive!

Previous post: