Rebecca Hall

Birth Name: Rebecca Marie Hall

Place of Birth: London, England

Date of Birth: May 3, 1982

Ethnicity:
*English (father)
*African-American, Dutch (mother)

Rebecca Hall is a British actress. She is the daughter of director Peter Hall, who is English-born, and opera singer and actress Maria Ewing, who is American-born.

Rebecca’s father is of English descent. Rebecca’s maternal grandfather was born to parents who were both of part African ancestry; he also had possible Scottish and Sioux Native American ancestry. Rebecca’s maternal grandmother, who was caucasian, was Dutch.

Rebecca’s paternal grandfather was Reginald Edward Arthur Hall (the son of George Hall and Edith Kate Mitchell). Reginald was English. George was the son of John Hall and Mahala Vincent. Edith was the daughter of John Mitchell and Elizabeth Ann Tindall.

Rebecca’s paternal grandmother was Grace Florence Pamment (the daughter of Frederick William Pamment and Phyllis Louisa Wilson). Grace was English. Frederick was the son of Charles Edwin Pamment, Jr. and Jane Linsey. Phyllis was the daughter of Henry Wilson and Elizabeth.

Rebecca’s maternal grandfather, Norman Isaac Ewing, was born in Washington, D.C., c. 1892-1894 (most likely in 1894). Both of Norman’s parents were of at least part African ancestry. Norman was the son of John William Ewing and Hattie Norman, who married in Washington, D.C., on July 16, 1885. On the 1910 United States Census, John is listed as born in Tennessee and Hattie, the daughter of Isaac Franklin Norman and Amanda Jane Myers, is listed as born in Ohio.

On the 1910 United States Census, Norman’s “race” is listed as “Mulatto” (mixed race), and so is the “race” of both of his parents. At this time, Norman’s birth place is listed as Virginia, and his residence place is listed as Washington, D.C.

On the 1915 South Dakota State Census, Norman’s race is listed as “Indian” (Native American), and on the 1920 United States Census, his “race” is again listed as “Indian”. On the 1920 United States Census, his birthplace is listed as Washington, D.C., while his father’s birthplace is listed as Oregon and his mother’s birthplace is listed as Washington, D.C. It is perhaps notable that the woman he was married to at this time, Margaret “Maggie” Culbertson (who was not Rebecca’s maternal grandmother), is listed as “Indian” on the 1920 Census also. It is not clear if Norman had documented Native American ancestry. Some African-Americans told census takers that their race was “Indian”.

Rebecca’s maternal grandmother was Hermina Maria Veraar (the daughter of Robertus Veraar and Hermina M. Vernellen). Rebecca’s grandmother Hermina was Dutch, and was born in Amsterdam. She was white.

Sources: Genealogy of Rebecca’s father (focusing on his own father’s side) – http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com

Genealogies of Rebecca’s father (focusing on his own mother’s side) – http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com

Rebecca’s maternal grandfather, Norman Isaac Ewing, on the 1910 United States Census – https://familysearch.org
Norman Isaac Ewing on the 1915 South Dakota State Census – https://familysearch.org
Norman Isaac Ewing on the 1920 U.S. Census – https://familysearch.org

Marriage record of Rebecca’s maternal great-grandparents, John William Ewing and Hattie Norman, in the District of Columbia, Marriages, 1830-1921 – https://familysearch.org

Genealogy of Rebecca’s maternal great-grandmother, Hattie Norman – http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com

photo by Featureflash / Shutterstock.com

{ 61 comments… read them below or add one }

Daisuke January 16, 2014 at 4:03 pm

she is a black girl

hanna January 22, 2014 at 12:36 am

she’s not,society portrays her as white and she has more white in her than black,she a white woman

Freword June 20, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Not at all

guy January 16, 2014 at 12:22 pm

White, black, whatever, who cares! We all belong to the same human race and all have common ancestry!

Humanid January 15, 2014 at 10:33 am

She looks whiter than millions of tanned full-Europeans.
Assuming her mulatto maternal grandpa was about 40% African.
Sh is just 10% African which is zero in her face.

=> She is White, not pure just like all Europeans.

fuzzybear44 January 15, 2014 at 10:36 am

40%?where did you get that from

Dogg January 30, 2016 at 5:52 am

Her grandfather is probably just like any other regular African-American who has an average of 19% white ancestry, that doesn’t make him a mulatto. Google her mother. If you honestly think she’s only 20% black you need to get your eyes checked. She may be fair, but the features are there. My cousin is half African and can get quite fair when she hasn’t been in the sun for a while.

Daisuke January 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm

just because she looks white, doesn’t mean she is.

memphis January 6, 2014 at 12:04 pm

What do people on this site not get about the “Black identity”? IT is not about how dark your skin is or being 1/64 African. First off 30 years (1980’s) the one drop concept still ruled the “race” notion. You could be light bright damn near “white” but labelled “black” socially. If she was raised “Black” then she is Black. I’ve seen Rebecca’s mom, Maria Ewing, act and I would assume she was “black” with other mixtures like me and most AAs. Most African Americans have 17-30% admixture but society see us as “Black” (whatever that concept is in their minds).

mia123w May 20, 2014 at 11:04 pm

THANK YOU!!!! It’s like now if your mix the white people push you to be more white than black. But back then the rule was if you have one drop of black your black now it change? Dumb white people like all these mfs piss me off. SHES PART BLACK PEOPLE GET OVER IT.

Dogg January 30, 2016 at 7:21 am

Maria Ewing is definitely a biracial woman rather than a black woman. But her father was almost certainly a black man, with obviously a bit of European and possibly Native American ancestry just like a lot of African-Americans have. It’s so frustrating reading people comments saying that she’s only got distant African blood lmao they need to get their eyes and brain checked.

Dogg January 30, 2016 at 7:22 am

I suspect they’re denying her blackness because they’re racist.

JasonBaker December 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Blindsided!!! I thought she was 100% White. She must be a rare case.

Taylor December 27, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Look up shailene woodley if you think this is shocking

Dogg January 30, 2016 at 7:26 am

Definitely not the same. If you look at Shailene Woodley’s mother there’s no clear indication of her having African heritage (Though I’m sure she does but it would only be a small amount), Rebecca’s mother on the other hand is clearly part black. Probably a bit less than half black. My estimation is that Rebecca is 17 to 20% black.

Trincee November 17, 2013 at 2:48 am

Because she has white skin, society would label her as “white” yet she’s white and black. Yet, if her skin was black or “Carmel” she would be labeled as black.

scott December 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm

BECAUSE SHE LOOKS WHITE AND IS MOSTLY WHITE WHEREAS PRESIDENT OBAMA LOOKS MIXED BUT IS STILL CALLED “BLACK” EVEN THOUGH HES 1/2 WHITE

J.J. October 7, 2013 at 6:21 am

correction; her eyes are hazel (light brown) and her hair is virtually black (noirette) I think it should be listed

rickyflo March 6, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Overall, theories versus prejudicisms, she is Caucasian if she influences that way, .0156… She may do such opposite and admit all. percentage does not conclude another race because it is stupid to purify a race wrongly, secondarily, it is not just genetics yet skull and appearance, and third, prejudicisms are not a conclusive way of rectifying.

guurl October 9, 2013 at 1:29 am

Sounds like a bunch of gibberish. She is mainly white(white father, half white mother) but she has African and Sioux in her bloodline.

andrew October 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm

one of the few ones with documented “Indian” ancestry

follers October 9, 2013 at 4:51 pm

You never know. Her grandfather may have listed himself as “Indian” to avoid saying he is black.

Norman Ewing’s mother didn’t seem to be of Native American ancestry.

guurl November 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I doubt she has Sioux actually. I just think she only white with some African.

Daisuke November 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm

no she’s white and black. you have to learn that majority doesn’t necessarily rule. you can be a ethnicity you’re a drop of.

Daisuke November 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

she’s 1/64 black more than enough for her to say she’s part black! I’m 1/32 Irish, and 1/32 Norwegian and 30/32 Black and i say Norwegian, and black

Alice October 9, 2013 at 9:08 pm

She could say she has African ancestry but she isn’t black.

Dogg January 30, 2016 at 7:29 am

Where’d you get 1/64 from? She’s more like between 1/8 and 1/5

Holly12 May 21, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I think Rebecca Hall looks completely white to be honest. People may say she has African influences there, especially her lips, but I think that is such a silly stereotype! Guess what??? White people can have bigger lips too without having any African influence in their gene pool. Look at Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman & Kate Winslet who all have bigger lips but no African ancestry. I rest my case!

truegattaca September 16, 2012 at 8:48 am

Thank you!

fuzzybear44 September 16, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Well first it’s already a fact that she is part black,so you thinking she’s looks all white,is really irrelevant.It’s already a proven fact that you can look like one group,and yet still have the bloodline of another.Plus it’s already a fact that Europeans on the avg have 3-8% black blood.At least 1/3 of the white people in the U.S are between 2-20% avg black blood.Now I say this to let you know,that you haven’t proven anything.Now as far as the celebs,your telling me you know who their grandma or mommy laid up with,or who anybody grandma’s or mothers laid up with.That you know for a fact what in theirs or anyone else true bloodline,because people do lie about that stuff(all the time).Also names or locations don’t mean squat ,black people were and are everywhere(now and in the past).As was stated before,you can look one way,and yet still have another bloodline.It’s already been proven,that people who could pass for white did so.Now speaking of silly stereotypes,what about the one that say all black people are negroid,when clearly that’s not true.

Holly12 November 20, 2012 at 6:31 am

I don’t think it’s irrelevant at all that I think she looks all white, because she does actually look white! She only has a small amount of black blood anyway so that’s probably why she doesn’t look black! I am, just as you are, entitled to my own opinion!
I’m not disputing that you can look like one ethnicity, but still have another ethnicity in your gene pool either so please stop putting words in my mouth.
Also the other celebrities I mentioned who are quite obviously white do have bigger lips FACT!!! It maybe rarer for a white person to have bigger lips, but there are many who do & have no African ancestry for generations & generations back.
Yes we all do have ancestors that come from Africa originally, thousands & thousands of years ago & I am not disputing that either.
Even if someone who looks predominantly white has a small amount of African blood from generations & generations ago like Rebecca Hall, doesn’t mean they are African! Just as someone like Beyonce, for example has some white ancestry wouldn’t be considered white would she?!
Everybody is mixed to some degree! On first impressions I would bet that most people would think Rebecca Hall was white.

fuzzybear44 November 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ok your right,you’re entitled to own opinion.I will apologize for saying your view was irrelevant(no need to yell at me).
Now I do disagree with you on the assumption of how much black blood she has,not that I’m saying she black,because it’s obvious she’s not.However I’m looking at pics of her mother,and there’s no telling how much of what her mother is.You can be only 30% white,and look just like her mother(I can give an example of this).Now again the assumption about no black blood generations and generations back,but you have no proof of that.As I stated,you can’t go by names.Black people often in the past,adopted the names,like the people in the area(especially in European countries,well actually everywhere).Now the thing about traits,is that they can pop up at any time through the generations,so it doesn’t have to be recent.With places especially like England,it wasn’t thousands & thousands of years ago,that black people were there.England was just like it is now(plenty of them there).Just because more europeans are racist today,it’s wasn’t like that in the past.Europe and these other place were full of black people,I know your not going to believe me.Going to cut this short,however as I said it obvious hall is white,I not disputing it.

Holly12 November 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I actually think you make a fair point. I would say Rebecca Hall’s mother was half black, but that’s just a guess.
I will be honest & say I don’t know a lot about black history in the UK or Europe, but I have heard that the Roman’s, when they invaded the UK bought many black slaves with them so I agree with you, black people probably have been in the UK & Europe for thousands of years.
I’m really pale, but tan easily in the sun & there are rumours that I have a distant African ancestor in my family too, but I don’t look black at all. I guess Rebecca Hall is a perfect example of someone being mixed raced & looking predominantly like one ethnicity.
I think you make some valid points too.

fuzzybear44 November 21, 2012 at 3:13 am

To Holly12

Yes they were there in roman days(slaves,soldiers),but also there as part of the ruling families.You could look up something about the (Ivory bangle lady).Now your not alone,most people don’t know anything about black people,other than slaves.They don’t teach any of the good stuff in school.England had been digging up African people remains,for a hundred yrs,and hid that fact.I brought up the (brown baby project) once.Between 1939-44 95,000 babies(if I’m not mistaken) were born in Europe.Of that 95000, about 1/3 were called Brown babies.They were called this because,black servicemen and white women(England,France,Germany etc)got it on.The governments got a plan to ship the babies who couldn’t pass for white out to the U.S.(about 10 to 15,000).There probably alot of black people here,who don’t know they come from recent european stock.On a side note,England did ship alot of white kids out to australia(I wonder were those the kids who could pass for white).Sorry I’m so long winded.Now as far as your bloodline,who knowns.I never knew I had a white grandfather(father side) or a Afro latino one(mother side).Both died before I was born,so out of sight,out of mind.

fuzzybear44 November 21, 2012 at 3:32 am

To follers

For black people, Identifying yourself as native was very common back then.The government often tried to take advantage of that sometimes.Seeing that so many of these tribes had mixed so much,that the black side had taken over.The government seeing this,declared them no longer native,and tried to take their land.
See this woman here:

She Id herself as native,but you can see what she looked like.So being Id as native,didn’t mean they weren’t a black person.Sorry I had to used this woman,my friend has my book on this subject.

fuzzybear44 November 21, 2012 at 4:59 am

Want to correct something,out of that 95,000 alot were by white servicemen .Sorry for giving the wrong impression

Holly12 November 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm

To Fuzzybear 44,

That is really interesting about the Ivory Bangle Lady, I would never have known that if you hadn’t mentioned it, so thank-you. I’ve just found it quite interesting to read.
I’ve heard about the many African American service-men who were in the UK & had off-spring with British women too. I didn’t think it happened the other way around though as much, as there weren’t that many African American women in the UK during WW2, though I know a few were working as nurses, but not many.

Dogg January 30, 2016 at 7:34 am

She looks like her mother who looks part black therefore some of the black features are there. She has that long face that some black people have. Leona Lewis for example. And you can see it a bit in her lips. If I didn’t know she was black I like most people would just assume she’s white. But once you know the black is there you start to notice it.

Dogg January 30, 2016 at 7:34 am

*part black

ena March 24, 2012 at 10:58 am

My brother from the same mother and father looks white as her and we are multiracial

Angel Syrene March 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm

She look very White

Anonymous January 28, 2012 at 12:14 am

I never could understand why people with non anglo-saxon (often including the most deep rooted Dutch, French, Sub-Saharan African and frequently even indigenous North American) ancestry, embodiments of the quintessentially american notion of the great melting pot, so often end up marrying a full blooded anglo saxon* (the few that seem to be left in..) from England. Jennie Jerome, Winston Churchill’s mother is said to be of French and Iroquois ancestry, and there are plenty of other examples. One which comes to mind is a coworker whose sister married an Englishman* (she was of German, Dutch, old Missouri/Illinois French and Native American ancestry, all in large proportions.)

*Here meant to refer to a person whose ancestry in England goes back over one thousand years.

Rebecca is a beautiful young woman by the way.

roots February 21, 2012 at 4:01 pm

*****I never could understand why people with non anglo-saxon (often including the most deep rooted Dutch, French, Sub-Saharan African and frequently even indigenous North American) ancestry, embodiments of the quintessentially american notion of the great melting pot, so often end up marrying a full blooded anglo saxon****

i WAS A BIT CONFUSED?? were you saying that its bad for a bi-racial (half black half white) person (lady) to marry a white English man?? am ( half black half white) with a white father. married to a (white Russian) is it a bad thing in society?? but it seems its fine for men of color to have white partners?

+++we have to remember that in England not many black men want or need black and mixed-race woman. their are more black and mixed-race men with more white partners in England that anywhere else+++ my future kids will prob look like Rebecca hall,but i wouldn’t want people saying they look white their for they are white! not at all there grandma is a black Jamaican woman! i don’t want them to be ashamed of who and what they are! which is “Human” and “mixed-race”

gurl January 23, 2012 at 8:46 am

Her mother is half black. Her father is english.

me January 22, 2012 at 6:54 am

her mother is about 25% black and 25% sioux, so Rebecca Hall is about 12,5 black and 12,5 sioux , your ancestry is not always shown in your phenotype.

ONLY ANGLO-SAXONS ARE WHITE March 13, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I can sort of see the African in her.

Gutierrez March 14, 2012 at 2:41 am

She looks full on white. This is a perfect example of what could be of white Americans. I’m sure white Americans are not as white as one would believe. I mean with a history of blacks and Native Americans, much of the white American populace is probably alot like her.

But then again, is everyone sure the African in her background is Sub-Saharan? Because there are other races in Africa, like whites in South Africa, Berbers, Arabs and whites in North Africa. African does not translate to black always. But I don’t know her background, so it could or could not be.

memphis June 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Her mother,Maria Ewing’s music can be seen on Youtube. Her admixture can be seen plus Rebecca does resemble her mother. Depeche Mode’s guitarist Martin Gore’s father is African American…musician Carly Simon’s mother is half Afro Cuban. Often times one can’t tell someone’s ancestry at face value. Btw all North Africans are mixed (Turks, Romans,Punics,Vandals, Arabs, and other Africans) like American creoles. Being “black” is more social than actual skin tone.

*-* March 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Her pale skin disguises, but look at her lips, has a bit of african influences.

rafael January 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

why does everyone think african means black?there has always been white folks in africa

Anonymous January 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

No she means Black African. If her ancestor was a European born in Africa she would have said, for example German South African. I can see the African in her.

Anonymous January 16, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’m sure African means Black African. If she had a European ancestor born in Africa then she would have said, for example German South African. I can see she has African ancestry.

me January 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

her mother is mulatto

Bubbly January 9, 2012 at 12:53 am

she must be like 3% African.

Mike June 24, 2011 at 4:11 pm

anyone else think she would make a decent snow white for the Fables tv show

rafael July 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm

i dont know about a tv show,but she’d look good on my bed

Myspace Celebrity April 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm

She’s very pretty. She reminds me of Kate Beckinsale in other pictures.

411 April 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Don’t think I ever heard of her

Mike June 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm

100x hotter than that Kate Botoxsale.

karen January 6, 2012 at 4:49 am