Bryant Gumbel

by stlucas on February 9, 2017

Birth Name: Bryant Charles Gumbel

Place of Birth: New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.

Date of Birth: September 29, 1948

Ethnicity: Louisiana Creole (African, French, approximately 3/32 Ashkenazi Jewish, distant Corsican Italian, possibly English)

Bryant Gumbel is an American television journalist and sportscaster.

Bryant is the son of Rhea Alice (LeCesne) and Richard Dunbar Gumbel. His brother is television sportscaster Greg Gumbel. Bryant is married to Hilary Quinlan. He has two children with his former wife, June Baranco.

His parents were both black, of mainly African and French descent. The Gumbel family in Louisiana is of German Jewish origin. Bryant is of approximately 3/32 Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry. He also has distant Corsican Italian, and possibly English, roots. Some of his ancestors lived in Haiti.

A DNA test whose results were displayed on the show Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. (2017) stated that Bryant’s genetic ancestry is:

*65.1% European
——–*33.6% Northwestern European
——–*16.2% Southern European
——–*7.1% Ashkenazi [Jewish]
——–*1.7% Eastern European
——–*6.5% Broadly European
*34.1% Sub-Saharan African
*0.5% East Asian & Native American
*0.3% Unassigned

Bryant’s patrilineal ancestry can be traced back to Elias Gimpel/Gümbel, who was born, c. 1776, in Framersheim, Hessen, Germany, and to his wife, Kaye Hirsch.

Bryant’s paternal grandfather was Richard Dunbar Gumbel (the son of Cornelius J. “Jack” Gumbel and Marie Valentine Allain Prevost). Cornelius was the son of Karl/Cornelius Gumbel, who was a Jewish emigrant, from Albisheim, Bayern, and of Angelina/Angelic Charamel. Marie Valentine was the daughter of John Prevost and Marie S. Allain.

Bryant’s paternal grandmother was Marie Lucretia Soulé (the daughter of Etienne Soulé and Eugenie Lumina Duplessis).

Bryant’s maternal grandfather was Adrian/Adrien Bartholomew LeCesne (the son of Albert Joseph LeCesne and Alice Lamotte). Albert was the son of Gustave Augustin LeCesne and Louise Blanc/Blano; Gustave’s paternal grandfather, Louis-Nicolas LeCesne, was born in France. Alice was the daughter of Martin LaMotte, who was born into slavery, and of Henriette Jaillot.

Bryant’s maternal grandmother was Adele G. Gaignard (the daughter of Charles L. Gaignard and Pauline Foster). Charles was the son of Louis Gaignard and Élisabeth Eulalie Warburg. Élisabeth’s father, Bryant’s great-great-great-grandfather Daniel Samuel Warburg, was a German Jew, who was born in Hamburg, Germany.

Sources: Genealogy of Bryant Gumbel – https://www.geni.com

Bryant’s father on the 1930 U.S. Census – https://familysearch.org

Bryant’s paternal grandfather, Richard Dunbar Gumbel, on the 1900 U.S. Census – https://familysearch.org

Photo by Debby Wong/Bigstock.com

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

memphis November 13, 2017 at 10:07 am

Andrew, who are you to define to identify someone else’s personal identity of themselves? The idea of “blackness” is social political. According to this particular DNA test Bryan Gumbel has more genetics from his European ancestors than African…that does not mean the world still doesn’t see him as a “black” man. Brazilian samba legend, Neguinho da Beija Flor, is a very dark skinned man seemingly 100% of African descent but his DNA results had him 67.1% Euro and 31.1 % African. In terms of having very black skin and identifying as “black” but not have any African DNA ..a good example are the indigenous Australian Torres Striat Islanders. They look African but are closer genetically to Asians but identify as “black”. The notion of race took hundreds of years to formulate as ” fact” but only is a notion.

andrew November 8, 2017 at 6:01 pm

So now you have to change to: Louisiana Creole (French, African etc…).

fuzzybear44 November 8, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Why , his African is still higher than his French

andrew November 9, 2017 at 3:16 am

I understand that it’s hard for you to change a backward mentality

fuzzybear44 November 9, 2017 at 2:35 pm

You’re the one who wants to change things, it’s fine the way (STLUCAS ) put it. If anyone around here has a backward mentality, it’s you. Yes I can see he’s majority European, I don’t deny that. However his African ancestry is still higher than his French ancestry. So why do you have a probably with the way it’s written? I know you (national front) guys have a problem with black people being in front, but you’re just getting silly here

andrew November 9, 2017 at 3:55 pm

The point is that except for 3/32 Ashkenazi Jewish and 1/64 Corsican (the English part isn’t clear), his Euro ancestry is all French. Also Beyoncé’s mother (first Creole example coming to my mind) has more French/Euro ancestry than African and it’s very well documented.

andrew November 9, 2017 at 4:02 pm

fuzzybear44 November 9, 2017 at 4:12 pm

First off, do you understand math? 34 still is higher than 33

Secondly, in regards to Tina. what you are said to have in your family tree, and what you personally inherit in you Dna are two different things . Tina could get all that Euro ancestry or she could get very little of it. We want know until her Dna test

andrew November 9, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Those DNA categories (“Northwestern European”,”Broadly European etc) are highly questionable. His European ancestry is largely French.

fuzzybear44 November 9, 2017 at 11:53 pm

@andrew

Quote(You North Americans have a problem. Keep calling mixed-race people “black”. That’s wrong. Rosé wine is not white or red, it’s rosé. You get my oenological metaphor, I hope.)

Just North Americans? No I’ve seen a good number Europeans do the same thing. Secondly, you’re jumping all over the place. This started off because you wanted to re-word Bryant ethnicity, and now you’re on this subject.

Now as for calling a mixed person( black), I have stated many times, that I don’t call anyone anything they don’t already call themselves. I don’t take away personally choice. As for myself, being a person of Mixed ethnicity, I prefer being called black, and if it seems wrong to you or anyone else, well that’s your problem. Bryant calls himself black as well as his son. Beyoncé and her sister call themselves black, you’re going to tell us what we can call ourselves?

Now back to your original statement. by your logic , there are very few black people in Western hemisphere Then again there are millions of self-identified white people, who shouldn’t be seen as white anymore. Are you going to lecture them on how they should identify? or is it just us darker folk?

andrew November 10, 2017 at 3:18 am

I don’t consider you and all the people you have mentioned as “black”. Not at all. Once I remember my mother (who has no interest in this kind of stuff) calling Will Smith “mulatto actor” while we were watching an interview of him on tv, it was circa 2006. Also I remember a random discussion between me and a friend of mine, and he said about Beyoncé “she’s not black”. Your umbrella term is not alwais valid.

andrew November 10, 2017 at 3:21 am
fuzzybear44 November 10, 2017 at 10:37 pm

@Andrew

Quote(I don’t consider you and all the people you have mentioned as “black”. Not at all. Once I remember my mother (who has no interest in this kind of stuff) calling Will Smith “mulatto actor” while we were watching an interview of him on tv, it was circa 2006. Also I remember a random discussion between me and a friend of mine, and he said about Beyoncé “she’s not black”.)

First off No offense to your mother, but it doesn’t matter how you , her or your friend want to perceive Will Smith,Beyoncé, me or anyone else over here. Our own individual perspectives are the only opinions that count. you don’t get a vote

fuzzybear44 November 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm

@Andrew

Quote(http://l.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/hFu5obMTOJ6ivMdwD1UXvg–/aD0xMTUyO3c9MTc0MTtzbT0xO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/afp.com/9e36cb4631a871fc24c4c8471d65a728b54edffc.jpg

Yes, I’ve already seen your narrow view of what a black person should look like. I don’t deny that those are black people, But they are just one aspect of what black people look like.You know I could sit here and trade pics with you all day

andrew November 13, 2017 at 3:52 pm

“As for myself, being a person of Mixed ethnicity, I prefer being called black”

“I know you (national front) guys have a problem with black people being in front, but you’re just getting silly here”

I’ve alwais voted in my life for what it’s called “Democratic Party”in your country, and alwais been a fan since my childhood of African Americans like Michael Jordan, Eddie Murphy, Jimi Hendrix etc… I just think that your Afrocentrism is sick and I think one-drop rule is something obsolete.

fuzzybear44 November 14, 2017 at 12:20 am

@Andrew

Quote(I will never ever understand it. I think it’s offensive for real black people (not brown like you) from Sub-Sarahan Africa.

Well here’s the great part, It doesn’t matter if you understand it, or that you think it offends SSA’s. As I said before,
(You Don’t get A Vote)

Anyone with any sense know all Africans come in different shades of brown. :
See this is a SSA man also

So are these men:
Every bit as African as the ones you picked

Quote( I just think that your Afrocentrism is sick)

My Afrocentrism is sick? OH you mean when I show TRUE FACTS about black people in history, and you try to disprove them, CAN’T and people get to see that you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re right, I guess that would make you sick

Quote(I’ve alwais voted in my life for what it’s called “Democratic Party”in your country, and alwais been a fan since my childhood of African Americans like Michael Jordan, Eddie Murphy, Jimi Hendrix etc…)

Big deal, Everybody likes African American culture, doesn’t mean they like us as a people. I seen a racist on t.v state how much he hated black, but would let his sister marry Eddie Murphy.

However as a favor to you, in the future, you might not want to say things like that. It like saying your best friend is black, but no one has ever seen that best friend.

Quote( I think one-drop rule is something obsolete.)

Okay, but I don’t use the one-drop rule, and I never met anyone who has. As I repeat, I DON’T CALL anyone anything they don’t already call themselves

andrew November 14, 2017 at 5:41 am

The one who has a narrow view is you, not me. You didn’t realize at first that the likes of Boris Kodjoe or Giancarlo Esposito or Madison Keys were biracials. That’s why you have no idea of what a full black person look like, as someone wrote here. You’re in good company, though. Once I read the comments section of a Lenny Kravitz YouTube video and many people didn’t wonder that he was half-white. That is dumb.

Previous post: