Amy Schumer

2014 Variety Breakthrough of the Year Awards - Arrivals

Schumer in 2014, photo by PrPhotos

Birth Name: Amy Beth Schumer

Place of Birth: Manhattan, New York City, New York, U.S.

Date of Birth: June 1, 1981

Ethnicity:
*Ashkenazi Jewish (father)
*English, German, some Scottish and Welsh (mother, who converted to Judaism)

Amy Schumer is an American comedian, actress, writer, and producer.

Amy is the daughter of Sandra Jane (Jones) and Gordon David Schumer. She is married to chef Chris Fischer, with whom she has a son.

Amy’s father is from an Ashkenazi Jewish family (from Ukraine and Poland). Amy’s mother has English, German, and some Scottish and Welsh, ancestry, and is of Protestant background; she converted to Judaism when marrying her first husband, who was also Jewish.

Amy was raised Jewish, in Reform Judaism. She went to Hebrew School and had a Bat Mitzvah ceremony.

Amy’s sister, Kim Caramele, has worked as her road manager, co-writer, and producer. Amy is a second cousin, once removed, of United States Senator Chuck Schumer, of New York. Amy’s paternal great-great-grandparents, Abraham Schumer and Joder Ida/Edith Wizman, were also Chuck’s paternal great-grandparents.

Amy’s paternal grandfather is Abraham H. “Abe” Schumer (the son of Charles Kalman Schumer and Chaje/Ann Brenner Riemer). Abraham was born in New York. Charles was born in Buchach, Buchats’kyi district, Ternopil’s’ka oblast, Ukraine, the son of Abraham Schumer and Joder Ida/Edith Wizman/Weisman; Abraham was the son of Kalmen Schumer and Yetta Margulies. Ann was born in Wiśnicze/Wiznitz, gliwicki, Silesian Voivodeship, Poland, the daughter of Wolf Riemer and Chane/Anna Scheifler.

Amy’s paternal grandmother is named Beverly M. Gold.

Amy’s maternal grandfather was Kenneth Hayden Jones (the son of Lawrence Elmore Jones and Mildred E. Shattuck). Kenneth was born in Massachusetts. Lawrence was the son of Charles S. Jones and Edith Lawrence Johnston.

Amy’s maternal grandmother was Betty Jane Roth (the daughter of John Slater Roth and Georgia Catherine Dement). Betty was born in Ohio. John was the son of Harry Lamont Roth and Nancy Witt. Georgia was the daughter of Edward E. Dement and Frances/Francis Ellen “Fannie” Phillips.

While there are many Jewish Roth families, Amy’s Roth line is of non-Jewish German origin.

Sources: Genealogy of Amy Schumer – http://www.geni.com

Obituary of Amy’s paternal great-uncle, Walter Schumer (the brother of Amy’s paternal grandfather, Abraham H. Schumer) – http://www.legacy.com

Obituary of Amy’s maternal grandmother, Betty Jane (Roth) Jones – http://obits.dignitymemorial.com

Obituary of Amy’s maternal great-uncle, John Slater “Jack” Roth (the brother of Amy’s maternal grandmother, Betty Jane Roth) – http://www.findagrave.com

Genealogy of Amy’s maternal great-grandfather, John Slater Roth (focusing on his mother’s side) – http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com

1. ashash says:

• bearboy says:

I agree she is the prettiest!

• fuzzybear44 says:

Don’t the Ashkenazi see themselves as white, so how is she Biracial?

• follers says:

I see her more as triracial tbh.

• passingtime85 says:

You guys are being generous about her looks, but I’ll leave that alone.

As for the race thing.. race is kind of a stringent notion. Three’s basically only 3 races, with a multitude of ethnic sub-genres.

Amy isn’t bi-racial, she’s bi-ethnic or multi-ethnic. That is even debatable as her maternal lineage is mostly comprised of very similar ethnic groups, from a phenotypical stand point. So a more accurate description of her background would be multi-national.

Of course a dna test could prove that she is indeed bi-racial or even tri-racial, as some Ashkenazi Jews belong to haplogroups that originate, and/or have been influenced by/from Africa and East Asia.

• TheHelper says:

@fuzzybear44 They are White because Jewish is a religion, not a race.

• TheHelper says:

@ashash She’s not biracial. Jewish isn’t a race, it’s a religion.

• RadDaddy says:

“She looks white, but she’s biracial and just passing. Half white/half Jewish mixes are usually the prettiest of all?”

Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry mixed with non Jewish Europeans is “bi-racial.”

Are you a Neo-Nazi using the 1935 Nuremberg Laws are your racial hygiene criteria?
      I can only assume that this site has a white Nationalist bent, due to the fact that absurdly extremist posts like this are on here and left properly unquestioned for over 2 years…

• andrew says:

RadDaddy, the “biracial” thing was a joke this time. I actually suspect “Ashash” is the sock account of someone who is influential here.

• follers says:

I’ve already stopped adding your wikitree links, permanently, because you were wrong on Jeremy Allen White. Now I’m going to stop adding your findagrave links, permanently, because you were wrong about this one. The list will probably just grow, and then we’ll get back to pre-July 2015 levels, which is where I want us to be on the link front.

P.S., don’t paste large amounts of text from other websites into the comments section (Wyatt Cenac).

• andrew says:

what’s wrong with you?

• andrew says:

from the tone of your acid reply, I could think I was right.

• andrew says:

I am one of the top submitters here, I mean there are alwais not less than 2 or 3 celebs I’ve added in featured posts, so you have to treat me more nicely, ok??

• andrew says:

The same must be applied to Bablah and Madman.

We had private messaging where we talked about your somewhat controversial behaviour.

After you got the point, you’re free to delete these messages.

Best regards
            Andrew

• andrew says:

we are not trolls but we just want to improve the site

• follers says:

“from the tone of your acid reply, I could think I was right.”

OK, that covers the rest of your links.

• jackson9 says:

The bi racial thing is silly but what neo-nazi or white nationalist goes around saying half Jewish people are usually the most attractive? Ashash isn’t a racist and this isnt a white supremacist website

• RadDaddy says:

“The bi racial thing is silly.”

No, it’s a sign of either 3 things:

1. A troll just farting out nonsense.
          2. A sub-moronic person that actually believes Ashkenazi Jews mixing with non Jews makes their offspring “bi-biracial.”
          3. A severely demented antisemitic cretin that is on the level of an SS-Sturmbannführer from 1943.

“Ashash isn’t a racist and this isnt a white supremacist website.”

Pick one.

• jackson9 says:

RadDaddy, I want to say I appreciate your passion against anti-semitism. Although I don’t know as much about the history of the Jewish people I really do appreciate your fight against bigotry. But I think of the three choices you give I think it falls under the first one. nonsense that was meant to be a joke. I can’t speak for whoever posted it but I really don’t think they are antisemitic if they go on to compliment the group they are supposedly attacking. There are some misinformed comments on this website but the vast majority of us are good hearted people just looking to start a conversation. Again, no disrespect brother :-)

2. athelya says:

she reminds me of miss piggy (remember people just because someones not attractive doesn’t make them worthless or bad, personality goes a long way)

3. cwm85 says:

She’s not the most comely looking woman but some of these insults are just mean. Take a look in the mirror are your own self… smh